Bureau of Special Investigation
Ahtu Sonzan Hsitseye Htana
|Parent agency||Ministry of Home Affairs|
The Bureau of Special Investigation (Burmese: အထူးစုံစမ်းစစ်ဆေးရေးဦးစီးဌာန; BSI) is the domestic intelligence and security service of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar. BSI is a department of the Ministry of Home Affairs (Myanmar). The bureau has authority to investigate legal offences, including financial crimes, such as inappropriate trading, tax evasion, and government officer corruption allegations. The Director General of BSI is U Maung Maung Kyaw. Its headquarters is in Naypyidaw.
In 1951, the Special Investigation Administrative Board was formed under the direct supervision of the Prime Minister with 315 number of staff in accordance with "The Bureau of Special Investigation Act". In 1963, it was renamed as Bureau of Special Investigation under the administration of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
BSI operates for many laws. These include, but are not limited to —
- Foreign Exchange Regulation Act 1948
- Essential services and Supply Act 1947
- Public Properties protection Act 1947
- Anti-Corruption Act 1948
- Export and Import Supervision (temporary) Act 1948
The structure of BSI is:
- Administration Division
- Law & Prosecution Division
- Information Technology Division
- Information Network
- Cyber Crime
- Investigation & Financial Division
- International Affair
- Crime Division
- Upper Myanmar
- Lower Myanmar
- Inspection Division
- Regions and States (14)
- Nay Pyi Taw (Union Territory)(1)
Duties and functions
- Scrutinizing work
- Submitting legal opinion on cases
- Sending up to the court and prosecution
- Collecting and supmitting intelligence
- To cooperate for the peace and tranquitity of the State and rule of law.
- "RESPONSES TO INFORMATION REQUESTS (RIRs)" (PDF). Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. 25 February 2008. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "အထူးစံုစမ္းစစ္ေဆးမႈအုပ္ခ်ဳပ္ေရးအဖြဲ႕ႏွင့္ အထူးစံုစမ္းစစ္ေဆးေရးဌာန အက္ဥပေဒ". Constitutional Tribunal of The Union of Myanmar.
- "Historical Background". The Republic of the Union of Myanmar: Anti-corruption Commission.
- "BSI Biography". Ministry of Home Affairs.
- "Duties and Functions of The Bureau of Special Investigation". Ministry of Home Affairs.
|This law enforcement agency article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|