Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Jurisdiction||Executive branch of the United States|
|Employees||120 (as of 2006)|
|Annual budget||$997 million (As of 2005)|
|Parent department||U.S. Department of State|
The Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) is a bureau within the United States Department of State.
It has primary responsibility for formulating policies on population, refugees, and migration, and for administering U.S. refugee assistance and admissions programs. The Bureau is headed by the Assistant Secretary of State for Population, Refugees, and Migration. The Assistant Secretary for the bureau is Anne C. Richard.
The Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) provides aid for and seeks to enhance the protection of refugees, victims of conflict and stateless people around the world, and manages the US Refugee Admissions Program to resettle refugees in the United States. PRM is a major funder of the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR), the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and other aid groups. PRM also promotes the United States' population and migration policies in international fora and with other governments. PRM's Assistant Secretary Anne C. Richard was confirmed on March 29, 2012.
The bureau's predecessor, the Bureau of Refugee Programs, began in 1980. In 1993, the bureau added population issues to its portfolio, and the bureau was changed into its current form, the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration.
- Office of the Comptroller
- Office of Policy and Resource Planning
- Office of Multilateral Coordination and External Relations – Communicates U.S. policy in multilateral organizations, including UNHCR, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the International Organization for Migration
- Office of Refugee Admissions
- Office of Population and International Migration – Represents the United States in the United Nations Population Fund and the UN Commission on Population and Development
- Office of Assistance for Africa
- Office of Assistance for Europe, Central Asia, and the Americas
- Office of Assistance for Asia and the Near East
- Executive Office
- "Inspection of the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration" (PDF). Inspector General of the Department of State. June 2006. Retrieved April 1, 2016.
- "1 FAM 520 Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM)" (PDF). Foreign Affairs Manual. U.S. Department of State. June 7, 2012. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- "State Department Student Internship Brochure" (PDF). U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Human Resources. September 2014. Retrieved December 10, 2015.