Bureau of Yards and Docks
The Bureau of Yards and Docks was the branch of the United States Navy responsible from 1842 to 1966 for building and maintaining navy yards, drydocks, and other facilities relating to ship construction, maintenance, and repair.
The Bureau was established on August 31, 1842 by an act of Congress (5 Stat. 579), as one of the five bureaus replacing the Board of Naval Commissioners established in 1815. Originally established as the Bureau of Naval Yards and Docks, the branch was renamed the Bureau of Yards and Docks in 1862.
Chiefs of the Bureau
The following list includes the names of those who served as Chief of the Bureau.
- Captain Lewis Warrington, 1842–1846
- Captain Joseph Smith, 1846–1869
- Captain Daniel Ammen, 1869–1871
- Commodore Christopher R. P. Rodgers, 1871–1874
- Commodore John C. Howell, 1874–1878
- Commodore Richard L. Law, 1878–1881
- Rear Admiral Edward T. Nichols, 1881–1885
- Commodore David B. Harmony, 1885–1889
- Commodore George D. White, 1889–1890
- Commodore Norman H. Farquhar, 1890–1894
- Commodore Edmund O. Matthews, 1894–1898
- Rear Admiral Mordecai T. Endicott, 1898–1907
- Rear Admiral Harry H. Rousseau, 1907
- Rear Admiral Richard C. Hollyday, 1907–1912
- Rear Admiral Homer R. Stanford, 1912–1916
- Rear Admiral Frederick R. Harris, 1916–1917
- Rear Admiral Charles W. Parks, 1918–1921
- Rear Admiral Luther E. Gregory, 1921–1929
- Rear Admiral Archibald L. Parsons, 1929–1933
- Rear Admiral Norman M. Smith, 1933–1937
- Rear Admiral Ben Moreell, 1937–1945
- Rear Admiral John J. Manning, 1945–1949
- Rear Admiral Joseph F. Jelley, Jr., 1949–1953
- Rear Admiral John R. Perry, 1953–1955
- Rear Admiral Robert H. Meade, 1955–1959
- Rear Admiral Eugene J. Peltier, 1959–1962
- Rear Admiral Peter Corradi, 1962–1965
- Rear Admiral Alexander C. Husband, 1965–1966
- "Bureau of Yards and Docks - Lists of Commanding Officers and Senior Officials of the US Navy". Naval History & Heritage Command. 2006. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- This article contains public domain information from the United States National Archives and Records Administration.
- "Records of the Bureau of Yards And Docks". National Archives and Records Administration. 2014.
- Activities of the Bureau of Yards and Docks, Navy Department. World War 1917-1918. Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. 1921.
- Building the Navy's Bases in World War II: History of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps, 1940-1946. Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office. 1947.