Burgard Vocational High School
|Burgard Vocational High School|
|400 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, Erie, New York 14214
|Motto||Humanity, Integrity, Scholarship|
|School district||Buffalo Public Schools|
|Principal||Charlene D. Watson|
|Assistant Principals||Eric S. Johnson
Jamie L. St. John
Tracey L. Travis
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Website||Burgard High School|
Burgard Vocational High School is a vocational high school located in Buffalo, New York, USA. It holds about 800 students from Grades 9 - 12 and teaches according to the Board of Regents. The current Principal is Ms. Charlene Watson, and the current Assistant Principals are Mr. Eric Johnson, Ms. Jamie St. John, and Mrs. Tracey J. Travis.
The school was founded in 1910 as a combined printing class between Public School #5 and Public School #44 on Elm Street in Buffalo. In 1914, it became known as the Elm Technical School. A $1,000,000 construction project was begun to construct a new facility for the school, with the land being donated by Henry P. Burgard.
In 2009, a renovation was completed on the school that expanded the main office and created new science and computer labs, technology shops, and renovation to the automobile shops. Locker rooms were also expanded. While the school was being reconstructed, freshmen and sophomores were housed at School 171 on East Delavan Avenue.
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Mr. William B. Kamprath–1931-1957 (Principal - Elm Vocational School, retired)
- Mr. Joseph F. Crotty–1957-1970 (Vice Principal - Burgard Vocational High School, died)
- Mr. J. Patrick Curry–1970-1984 (Vice Principal - Seneca Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. James F. Harmon–1984-1985 (Principal - McKinley Vocational High School, retired)
- Mr. John J. Mattimore–1985-1989 (Principal - South Park High School, retired)
- Mr. Rocco A. Lamparelli–1989-1990 (Supervising Principal - Buffalo Public Schools' Secondary Schools, retired)
- Mr. Thomas P. Kopera–1990-2002 (Assistant Principal - Lafayette High School, retired)
- Mr. James J. Pautler–2002-2006 (Assistant Principal - Kensington High School, assigned to Buffalo Public Schools' Office of Shared Accountability)
- Mr. Carlos J. Villarroel [interim]–2006-2007 (Vice Principal - Burgard High School, named Assistant Principal of Frank A. Sedita Academy)
- Mrs. Florence S. Krieter–2007-2010 (Interim Assistant Principal - Burgard High School, assigned to Buffalo Schools' Department of School Turnarounds)
- Ms. Genelle E. Morris-Adams–2010 [interim] (Director of Data Analysis - Buffalo Public Schools, returned to District Office)
- Mr. Brian M. Wiesinger–2010-2014 (Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction - Iroquois Central School District, named Headmaster of South Buffalo Charter School)
- Ms. Elizabeth C. Crispin–2014-2015 [interim] (Assistant Principal - Burgard High School, returned to position)
Former assistant principals
Previous assignment and reason for departure denoted in parentheses
- Mr. Laverne H. Engel–1932-1937 (English teacher - Seneca Vocational High School, named Head of Related Subjects for Buffalo Public Schools)
- Mr. Joseph M. Crotty–1948-1957 (unknown, named Principal of Burgard Vocational High School)
- Dr. William M. Sharp–1957-1962 (Vocational Counselor - Allderdice High School, retired)
- Mr. Joseph T. Schmidle–1962-1964 (Teacher - Emerson Vocational High School, named Director of Manpower Development for Buffalo Public Schools Board of Education)
- Mr. Archie Rouselle–1964-1972 (Carpentry teacher - McKinley Vocational High School, named Assistant Principal of Emerson Vocational High School)
- Mr. Thomas W. Cosgrove [interim]–1969-1970 (Math teacher - Burgard High School, returned to teaching)
- Mr. Salvatore J. Sedita–1972-1984 (Math teacher - Emerson Vocational High School, named Principal of Emerson Vocational High School)
- Mr. Richard A. Maratto–1984-1985 (Assistant Principal - Brighton High School, named Principal of Kensington High School)
- Mr. Alfred H. Rasp–1985-1987 (Assistant Principal - Riverside High School, named Assistant Principal of Kensington Prep)
- Mr. Thomas Fiorella–1987-1989
- Mr. Donald C. Brusky [interim]–1989-1990 (Physical Education teacher - Burgard High School, returned to position)
- Mr. Thomas C. Aquino–1990-1992 (Deputy Youth Director - City of Buffalo, named Supervisor of Personnel/Teacher Aides for Buffalo City Schools)
- Mr. Leonard J. Carfley–1992-1993 (Automotive Mechanics teacher - Burgard Vocational High School, retired)
- Mrs. Aloma D. Johnson–1993-1996 (Guidance Counselor - Burgard Vocational High School, named Acting Director of Magnet Programs for Buffalo Public Schools)
- Mrs. Mary A. Craig–1996-2003 (English teacher - Buffalo Traditional School, named Assistant Principal of Grover Cleveland High School)
- Mr. Carlos Villarroel–2003-2006 (Assistant Principal - Grover Cleveland High School, named Interim Principal of Burgard High School)
- Mrs. Denise E. Clarke–2003-2005 (ESL Teacher - Burgard High School, named Acting Assistant Principal of Frederick Law Olmsted 64)
- Mrs. Florence Schimert Krieter [interim]–2006-2007 (Program Coordinator - Burgard High School, named Interim Principal of Burgard High School)
- Mr. Bert L. Stevenson–2007-2008 (Assistant Principal - Buffalo Academy of Science Charter School, named Assistant Principal of Bennett High School)
- Dr. Barbara J. Carson-Jones–2008-2010 (Vice Principal - Seneca Vocational High School, retired)
- Mrs. Lorenda D. Williams-Chisholm–2010-2013 (Guidance Counselor - Amherst Central High School, named Assistant Principal of Northtowns Academy)
- Mr. Andre D. Thomas–2010-2013 (Social Studies teacher - Williamsville North High School, named Assistant Principal of Heim Middle School)
- Ms. Lizzy Crispin–2013-2014 (Assistant Principal - Bennett High School, named Interim Principal of Burgard High School)
- Mr. Robert R. Maulucci–2013-2014 (English teacher - Burgard High School, named Principal of South Buffalo Charter School)
- Mr. Peter A. Hazzan [interim]–2014-2015 (Director of School Leadership - Buffalo Public Schools, terminated)
- Ms. Lizzy Crispin–2015 (Interim Principal - Burgard High School, named Assistant Principal of Herman Badillo Bilingual Academy)
- Mr. Jason B. Madden–2015-2016 (Assistant Principal - Riverside Institute of Technology, named APPR Specialist of Buffalo Public Schools)
|Year||Superintendent||Principal||Asst. Principal||Asst. Principal||Asst. Principal|
|1931-1932||Earnest Hartwell||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1932-1933||Earnest Hartwell||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1933-1934||Earnest Hartwell||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1934-1932||Earnest Hartwell||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1935-1936||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1936-1937||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath||Laverne Engel|
|1937-1938||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1938-1939||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1939-1940||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1940-1941||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1941-1942||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1942-1943||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1943-1944||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1944-1945||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1945-1946||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1946-1947||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath|
|1947-1948||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1948-1949||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1949-1950||Robert Pabst||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1950-1951||Ben Willis||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1951-1952||Ben Willis||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1952-1953||Ben Willis||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1953-1954||Parmer Ewing||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1953-1954||Parmer Ewing||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1954-1955||Parmer Ewing||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1955-1956||Parmer Ewing||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1956-1957||Parmer Ewing||Bill Kamprath||Joe Crotty|
|1957-1958||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1958-1959||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1959-1960||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1960-1961||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1961-1962||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Bill Sharp|
|1962-1963||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Joe Schmidle|
|1963-1964||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Joe Schmidle|
|1964-1965||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1965-1966||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1966-1967||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1967-1968||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1968-1969||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle|
|1969-1970||Joseph Mench||Joe Crotty||Archie Rouselle||Tom Cosgrove|
|1970-1971||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Archie Rouselle|
|1971-1972||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Archie Rouselle|
|1972-1973||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1973-1974||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1974-1975||Joseph Mench||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1975-1976||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1976-1977||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1977-1978||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1978-1979||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1979-1980||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1980-1981||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1981-1982||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1982-1983||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1983-1984||Eugene Reville||Pat Curry||Sal Sedita|
|1984-1985||Eugene Reville||Jim Harmon||Al Rasp|
|1985-1986||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore||Al Rasp|
|1986-1987||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore||Al Rasp|
|1987-1988||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore||Tom Fiorella|
|1988-1989||Eugene Reville||John Mattimore||Tom Fiorella|
|1989-1990||Eugene Reville||Rocco Lamparelli||Don Brusky*|
|1990-1991||Alfred Thompson||Tom Kopera||Tom Aquino|
|1991-1992||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Tom Aquino|
|1992-1993||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Leo Carfley|
|1993-1994||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1994-1995||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1995-1996||Albert Thompson||Tom Kopera||Aloma Johnson|
|1996-1997||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|1997-1998||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|1998-1999||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|1999-2000||Jim Harris||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2000-2001||Marion Canedo||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2001-2002||Marion Canedo||Tom Kopera||Mary Craig|
|2002-2003||Marion Canedo||Jim Pautler||Mary Craig|
|2003-2004||Marion Canedo||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel||Denise Clarke*|
|2004-2005||Yvonne Hargrave||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel||Denise Clarke|
|2005-2006||James Williams||Jim Pautler||Carlos Villarroel|
|2006-2007||James Williams||Carlos Villarroel*||Florence Krieter*|
|2007-2008||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Bert Stevenson|
|2008-2009||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Barbara Jones|
|2009-2010||James Williams||Florence Krieter||Barbara Jones|
|2010-2011||James Williams||Morris*/Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
|2011-2012||Amber Dixon*||Brian Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
|2012-2013||Pam Brown||Brian Wiesinger||Lorenda Williams||Andre Thomas|
|2013-2014||Pam Brown||Brian Wiesinger||Bob Maulucci||Lizzy Crispin|
|2014-2015||Don Ogilvie*||Lizzy Crispin*||Jamie St. John*||Peter Hazzan*|
|2015-2016||Kriner Cash||Charlene Watson||Jamie St. John||Jason Madden||Tracey Travis|
|2016-2017||Kriner Cash||Charlene Watson||Jamie St. John||Eric Johnson||Tracey Travis|
|2017-2018||Kriner Cash||Charlene Watson||Jamie St. John||Eric Johnson||Tracey Travis|
*Denotes interim appointment
Burgard offers Regents level courses as required by New York State. Burgard's curriculum includes a career and technical component in classes such as Automotive Repair Technology, Virtual Enterprise, Welding, Computer-aided design (CAD) & CAM Robotics, and Building Management.
- Arlester Christian from the band Dyke and the Blazers
- Joseph Christopher; serial killer known as the .22 Caliber Killer
- Andre Coleman–former professional football player with the San Diego Chargers and Edmonton Eskimos (Class of 2002)
- Brian C. Davis–Former member of Buffalo, NY City Council
- Al Dekdebrun
- Demone Smith; Member of Buffalo, NY Common Council
- James Stockman; Director of North Country Emergency Medical Services Program Agency.
- Buffalo Public Schools. Retrieved October 11, 2015, from Burgard Public Schools: Burgard High School 301
- LaChiusa, C. Burgard Vocational HS Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Buffalo Architectural History.
- Ramtech Engineers. (Ramtech Engineers - Projects - Buffalo Public Schools - Burgard High School. Burgard High School Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Ramtech Engineers:
- "Truck and Bus". (2006, August 14). Retrieved September 19, 2010, from Karl R. Joser Photos: Burgard High School Photo
- J. PATRICK CURRY, RETIRED BURGARD PRINCIPAL. (1994, December 29). The Buffalo News.
- John J. Mattimore, Principal in Buffalo schools . (2011, May 2). The Buffalo News
- Mills, R. P. (2002). The New York State School Report Card for Burgard Vocational High School in Buffalo City School District. Albany: New York State Department Of Education.
- Hammersley, M. (1990, August 2). School chief details proposed staff changes. The Buffalo News, p. SPLIT.
- Mills, R. P. (2006). New York State School Report Card Comprehensive Information Report. Albany: New York State Department Of Education.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2007, February 14). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments[permanent dead link].
- Buffalo Public Schools (2006, December 6). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments[permanent dead link].
- Pasiack, M. B. (2010, November 12). Principals shifted to positions on central staff. The Buffalo News .
- Buffalo Public Schools (2010, December 1). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments[permanent dead link].
- Tan, S. (2014, August 1). Principal of Burgard High School resigning. The Buffalo News.
- Hammersley, M. (1992, February 27). School board cuts election cost. The Buffalo News, p. TRK.
- Aloma D. Johnson , retired educator - May 23, 1942 -- May 26, 2006. (2006, May 28). The Buffalo News, p. B6.
- Buffalo Public Schools. (n.d.). Retrieved September 9, 2010, from Buffalo Public Schools: Buffalo Public Schools - Burgard.
- Herod-Zak, R. (2005). 09-14-05 Administrative Board Changes - Special Meeting. Board of Education Special Meeting September 14, 2005 (p. 1). Buffalo: Buffalo Public Schools.
- Herod-Zak, R. (2005). 09-28-05 Administrative Board Changes. Board of Education Special Meeting September 28, 2005 (p. 1). Buffalo: Buffalo Public Schools.
- Sommer, M. (2008, August 14). 32 administrative changes approved. The Buffalo News.
- Buffalo Public Schools (2008, August 13). Meeting of the Board of Education: Administrative Appointments[permanent dead link].
- Creating a culture for success. (2013, August 13). Retrieved from http://www.e1b.org/StudentsofAllAges/AlternativeEducation.aspx?ArticleId=172
- New assistant principal named at heim middle. (2013, August 28). The Buffalo News. Retrieved from http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/schools/new-assistant-principal-named-at-heim-middle-20130828
- Burgard virtual tour. (2009). [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.buffaloschools.org//videos.cfm?vID=2043