Rustic cabin at Burgdorf in 2008
|Nearest city||Warren, Idaho
|NRHP Reference #||72000441|
|Added to NRHP||April 14, 1972|
Burgdorf is an unincorporated community in Idaho County, Idaho, United States, located approximately 30 miles (50 km) north of McCall at an elevation of 6,115 feet (1,864 m) above sea level. Originally a sacred site for Native Americans, its hot springs were discovered by unknown Chinese miners and settled by young German immigrant Fred C. Burgdorf in the late 1860s. Burgdorf had mined in nearby Warren to the east and turned the area at the hot springs into a resort by 1870.
Following a new mining rush in 1898 at Thunder Gulch, the resort was refurbished and expanded in 1902 by Burgdorf and his new young wife, a singer from Denver named Janette Foronsard. Originally known as "Resort," it became "Burgdorf" at this time, but the former name continued in usage for several years. Following Janette's death in 1923, Burgdorf sold his interest and moved to Weiser.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Burgdorf, Idaho
- "Resort at Burgdorf hot springs retains all its pioneer charms; discovered by unknown Chinese". Lewiston Morning Tribune. August 30, 1931. p. 1.
- "Burgdorf placed in National Register of Historic Places". Lewiston Morning Tribune. April 20, 1972. p. 9.
- "Reference Series, No. 437, Burgdorf" (PDF). Idaho State Historical Society. August 1967. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Greenburg, Dan W. (January 5, 1936). "Ridin' the pack train to Warren". Lewiston Morning Tribune. p. 5.
- "Items from Resort". Lewiston Morning Tribune. February 22, 1911. p. 5.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Burgdorf Post Office
- Friend, Tom (May 28, 1996). "NBA Playoffs; Burgdorf, Idaho, is Karl's kind of town". New York Times. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Official website
- Discover McCall.com - Burgdorf
- Visit Idaho.org - Burgdorf Hot Springs
- Secesh.net: Burgdorf
- Public Lands Information Center - Burgdorf, Idaho
- You Tube.com - video of Burgdorf, Idaho
|This Idaho location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Idaho on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|