Burlington station (North Carolina)
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
|Location||101 North Main Street|
|Owned by||North Carolina Railroad|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Parking||25 spaces; free|
|Status||Unstaffed; attendant available|
|Station code||BNC (Amtrak)|
|Passengers (FY2018)||21,888 2.26%|
Burlington is a train station in Burlington, North Carolina. It is served by Amtrak, the United States' passenger rail system, and hosts two Amtrak trains, the Carolinian and Piedmont. The street address is 101 North Main Street, and is located in the heart of downtown Burlington.
The present Railroad Depot was once the site of a large locomotive repair shop facility during the mid-19th century for the North Carolina Railroad. On this site was a camp of recruitment and instruction for the 6th North Carolina Troops during the American Civil War. In July 1861, these troops left Company Shops to ride by rail to the Battle of Manassas, Virginia. this was the first time in American history that military personnel were transported by rail in to combat.
In 1895 the property was acquired by the Southern Railroad, along with the rest of NCRR. It was restored as a railroad station in 2003. There is a small museum in the lobby of the train station that depicts the railroad history of Company Shops and its progression into the city of Burlington. Prior to this period, trains stopped at a prefabricated office trailer, and before this a former Southern Railway station that was moved to another part of Burlington in order to make way for a road improvement project.
- "Burlington, NC (BNC) - Great American Stations". Amtrak's Great American Stations. Retrieved July 17, 2019.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of North Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- Burlington Station (NCDOT Rail)
- Burlington Amtrak Station & Former Amtrak and Southern Railway Station (USA Rail Guide – Train Web)
- Burlington, NC – Amtrak
- Burlington Amtrak Station & Former Southern Railway Station (USA Rail Guide – Train Web)
- Burlington, NC (BNC) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)
|This North Carolina train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|