Location of Burlison in Tipton County, Tennessee.
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||410 ft (125 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||432.2/sq mi (166.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1279062|
Burlison is located at (35.557142, -89.787010).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 453 people, 180 households, and 133 families residing in the town. The population density was 432.2 people per square mile (166.6/km²). There were 190 housing units at an average density of 181.3 per square mile (69.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.12% White, 0.44% African American, 0.22% Native American, and 0.22% from two or more races.
There were 180 households out of which 34.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.1% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 20.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 11.3% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 123.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $38,056, and the median income for a family was $42,813. Males had a median income of $35,250 versus $23,929 for females. The per capita income for the town was $17,685. About 4.3% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 16.0% of those age 65 or over.
Burlison has a post office, cotton gin, and a community center. The Burlison Community Center can be used by anyone for a rental fee of $125.00 Burlison also has a park, located behind the community center. It is equipped with a basketball court, a playground, and picnic tables. There are no stop lights, only flashing lights and a few stop signs. The mayor is Jim Kenny. Town Council meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at the Burlison Community Center and are open to the public.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved August 3, 2019.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties Archived 2014-06-30 at the Wayback Machine, State of Tennessee official website, 14 July 2011. Retrieved: 6 December 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2006-02-08. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 11 June 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.