Denmark—Myanmar relations refer to the current and historical relationship between Myanmar and Denmark. Neither country has a resident embassy. Myanmar is represented in Denmark through its embassy in the United Kingdom, and Denmark is represented in Myanmar, through its embassy in Thailand. Diplomatic relations were established in 1955. Relations between the two countries are friendly. Denmark has the smallest amount of trade, of the countries in the European Union, with Myanmar. Denmark also supports the Norwegian based radio station, Democratic Voice of Burma.
Assistance to Myanmar
Danish development assistance has focused on promoting democracy and human rights. Denmark was one of the first countries to respond to cyclone Nargis by providing humanitarian assistance to Burma. Three Diseases Fund was founded in 2006, and Denmark joined in 2009. Three Diseases Fund helps Myanmar fight HIV and AIDS, and has assisted with 73 million dollars.
Burmese Consul Incident
In 1996, the consul in Myanmar for Denmark, James Leander Nichols, was sentenced to three years in jail. The sentence was for illegal possession of two facsimile machines and a telephone switchboard. Two months later, he died in prison. Despite Danish insistence, Burmese authorities refused to allow an independent autopsy. Soon after, the European Union, with Canada, called for a United Nations gathering on the democratisation process.
Day's Work Day
On 3 November 2010, students from 140 different gymnasiums in Denmark and DanChurchAid, participated in the annual Day's Work Day. The money earned by the students goes to improve education for young people in Myanmar.
- "Embassy of Myanmar in the United Kingdom". Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- Burmese embassy in Bangkok, Thailand
- Far Eastern economic review. 1972. Retrieved 2010-12-24.
Diplomatic relations Between Burma and Denmark, while friendly, have been limited to formal exchanges of greetings and condolences on appropriate occasions ...
- Burma's economic relations with Denmark Online Burma/Myanmar Library
- "Danish paper calls for more support for Burmese radio station in Norway". NewsLibrary.com / Politiken. 28 September 2007. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
The military junta in Burma is showing no signs of yielding to the ever stronger popular demands for democratization and dialogue...
- "Activities in Burma". Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "DANIDA in Burma". Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "Three Diseases Fund". The Diseases Fund 3DF. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "Three Diseases Fund (3DF)". Foreign Affairs of Denmark. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- Anais Tamen (2002–2003). "The European Union's Sanctions Related to Human Rights: The Case of Myanmar" (PDF). p. 98. Retrieved 8 December 2010.
- "James Leander Nichol's Death Imprisoned For Owning an Illegal Fax Machine in Burma". CFOB Canadian Friends of Burma. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "Response of the Union of Myanmar to the United Nations". CFOB Canadian Friends of Burma. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "21.000 gymnasieelever arbejder onsdag for bedre uddannelse i Burma" (in Danish). U-landsnyt.dk. 1 November 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2011.