|Chukrasia tabularis leaves|
The Indian mahogany (Chukrasia tabularis) is a deciduous tree in the family Meliaceae. It is native to Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam. Also introduced to many western countries such as Cameroon, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Puerto Rico, South Africa, and USA. The plant is widely used in Ayurveda as an important medicinal plant.
The trees are tall with a cylindrical bole and spreading crown. C. velutina leaves are abruptly pinnate or bipinnate with leaflets that alternate or are subopposite, entire and unequal at the base. The erect, oblong flowers, which are rather large and born in terminal panicles, possess four to five petals. Mature fruits are a septifragally three to five valved capsule.
Leaves of C. velutina contain quercetin and its 3-galactoside, galloyl glucoside, tannic acid and a flavone. The bark contains sitosterol, melianone, scopoletin, 6,7-dimethoxycoumarin, tetranorterpenes and tabularin. The wood contains bussein homologue and chukrasins A, B, C, D and F. The root contains a triterpene, cedrelone. Seeds contain tetranorterpenes, phragmalin esters and 12 α-OAc-phyramalin. Four new meliacin esters 3,30-diisobutyrates and 3-isobutyrate-30-propionates of phragmalin and 12-acetoxyphragmalin have also been isolated from seeds.[page needed]
- English - Bastard cedar, White cedar, East-Indian mahogany, Indian redwood, Burma almond wood, Chickrassy, Chittagong wood
- Hindi - Chikrasi (चिकरासी)
- Manipuri - Taimareng (তাঈমৰেঙ)
- Telugu - Kondavepa
- Tamil - Malei veppu (மலை வேப்பு)
- Kannada - Kalgarike
- Malayalam - Suvannakil
- Bengali - Chikrassi
- Assamese - Boga-poma
- Sinhala - Hulan hik (හුලං හික් ) / Hirikita (හිරිකිත)
- Website of province (Thai)
- Asolkar, L.V., Kakkar, K.K., Chakre, O.J. (1992). "Second Supplement to Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants with active principles. Part-1 (A-K)".
- Rastogi, Ram P., Mehrotra, B.N. (1993). Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants 2. New Delhi, India: Lucknow and Publications & Information Directorate.
- Chukrasia tabularis A. Juss. - MELIACEAE, biotik.org