Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Created by||Burmese Wikipedia community|
The Burmese Wikipedia (Burmese: မြန်မာဝီကီပီးဒီးယား pronounced: [mjəmà wɪkɨˈpiːdiə]) is the Burmese language edition of the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia. This edition was started in July 2004, and has about 31,000 articles as of July 2015.
As of July 2015, there are 30,000 users, 3 admins and 4,165 files on the Myanmar Wikipedia ranking 85th by article count.
- 2004: Burmese Wikipedia launched.
- 2005: Some of Burmese Wikipedians joined and started writing .
- 2008: Content grows drastically.
- 2010: First Burmese Wikipedia workshop held at Bangkok, Thailand with people from Wikimedia Foundation, local and international unicode experts and Burmese Wikipedians.
- 2012: Burmese Wikipedia was Introduced at Barcamp Yangon.
Events and promotions
Myanmar Computer Professionals Association had launched Wikipedia Myanmar project with the aim of expanding Wikipedia in 2010.
Burmese Wikipedia community had held their first joint workshop in Yangon, Burma (Myanmar) with the help of Telenor in June 2014 to recruite new volunteers. The Burmese Wikipedia Forum was held at Dagon University in July 2014 attracting over 2,000 people, including students.
- "Wikipedia Statistics - Tables - Burmese". wikimedia.org.
- The Myanmar Times. "Myanmar Wikipedia project targets 15,000 pages". mmtimes.com.
- "Telenor Group - Bringing Wikipedia to Myanmar". Telenor Group.
- Win Htut. "Telenor hosts Wikipedia forum at Dagon University". Eleven Myanmar.
- The Myanmar Times. "Spark of knowledge starts with Wikipedia". mmtimes.com.
|Burmese edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|