Myanmar units of measurement
According to the 2010 CIA Factbook, Myanmar is one of three countries that have not adopted the International System of Units (SI) metric system as their official system of weights and measures. However, in June 2011, the Burmese government's Ministry of Commerce began discussing proposals to reform the measurement system in Burma and adopt the metric system used by most of its trading partners, and in October 2013, Pwint San, Deputy Minister for Commerce, announced that the country was preparing to adopt the metric system.
Burmese government web pages in English use imperial and metric units inconsistently. For instance, the Ministry of Construction uses miles to describe the length of roads and square feet for the size of houses, but square kilometres for the total land area of new town developments in Yangon City. The Ministry of Agriculture uses acres for land areas. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs uses kilometres (with mile equivalents in parentheses) to describe the dimensions of the country.
|ဆံချည်||sanchi||79.375 μm||3+1⁄8 thou/mil|
|နှမ်း||hnan||0.79375 mm||31+1⁄4 thou/mil||10|
|မုယော||muyaw||4.7625 mm||3⁄16 in||6|
|လက်သစ်||let thit||19.05 mm||3⁄4 in; one digit||4|
|မိုက်||maik||152.4 mm||6 in; one shaftment||8|
|ထွာ||htwa||228.6 mm||9 in; one span||1.5|
|တောင်||taung||457.2 mm||1+1⁄2 ft; one cubit||2|
|လံ||lan||1.8288 m||6 ft; one fathom||4|
|တာ||ta||3.2004 m||10+1⁄2 ft||1.75|
(from Pali usabha)
|64.008 m||70 yd||20|
(from Pali kosa)
|1.28016 km||0.795455 mi||20|
(from Pali gāvuta)
|5.12064 km||3.18182 mi;
about one league
(from Pali yūjanā)
|20.48256 km||12.7273 mi||4|
|ရွေးလေး||yway lay||136.078 mg||2.1 grain|
|ရွေးကြီး||yway gyi||272.155 mg||4.2 grain||2|
|ပဲသား||petha||1.02058 g||15.75 grain||3.75|
|မူးသား||mutha||2.04117 g||31.5 grain||2|
|မတ်သား||mattha||4.08233 g||63 grain||2|
|ငါးမူးသား||nga mutha[N 1]||8.16466 g||0.288 oz||2|
|ကျပ်သား||kyattha[N 2]||16.3293 g||0.576 oz||2|
|အဝက်သား||awettha||204.117 g||7.2 oz||12.5|
|အစိတ်သား||aseittha||408.233 g||14.4 oz||2|
|ငါးဆယ်သား||ngase tha||816.466 g||1.8 lb||2|
|ပိဿာ||peittha[N 3]||1.63293 kg||3.6 lb||2|
|အချိန်တစ်ရာ||achein taya||163.293 kg||360 lb||100|
|လမု||la myu||79.9118 mL||2+13⁄16 fl oz||2.70214 fl oz|
|လမျက်||la myet||159.824 mL||5+5⁄8 fl oz||5.40428 fl oz||2|
|လမယ်||la me||319.647 mL||11+1⁄4 fl oz||10.8086 fl oz||2|
|စလယ်||sa le||639.294 mL||1+1⁄8 pints||1.35107 pints||2|
|ခွက်||hkwet||1.27859 L||1+1⁄8 qt||1.35107 qt||2|
|ပြည်||pyi||2.55718 L||2+1⁄4 qt||2.70214 qt||2|
|စိတ်||seit||10.2287 L||2+1⁄4 gallons
|ခွဲ||hkwe||20.4574 L||4+1⁄2 gallons
|တင်း||tin||40.9148 L||9 gallons
|ငါးမူး||5 mu (nga mu)||50||5||2||1||1⁄2|
Adoption of SI (metric) system
Examples of metrication in Myanmar include weather forecasts by the Department of Meteorology and Hydrology being given with temperatures in Celsius. Petrol in Myanmar is sold with prices in Burmese kyat per litre (K/L). Speed limits in Myanmar are given by law in kilometres per hour (km/h).
- "The World Factbook, Appendix G: Weights and Measures". Web Pages. Central Intelligence Agency. 2010. Archived from the original on 28 May 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2010.
- "[USMA:50911] RE: Ditch the viss, govt urges traders". The Myanmar Times. The Mail Archive. 24 July 2011. (At bottom of page). Archived from the original on 7 August 2011. Retrieved 19 September 2015 – via The Internet Archive.
- "Myanmar to adopt metric system". www.elevenmyanmar.com. Eleven Media Group. Archived from the original on 24 March 2015. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Public Works, Fields Of Activities". Web Page. Ministry Of Construction. 2006. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Housing Development". web page. Ministry Of Construction. 2006. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Ministry of Agriculture and Information". Web Page. Myanmar Agriculture. 2009–2010. Archived from the original on 13 June 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "About Myanmar : Geography". web page. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Myanmar. 2009. Archived from the original on 5 August 2010. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "City Weather Forecast for States and Regions | Department of Meteorology and Hydrology". www.moezala.gov.mm. Archived from the original on 24 December 2017.
- Fuel prices on the rise | The Myanmar Times
- Petrol Prices March 2014 in Yangon, Myanmar
- Road Safety in Myanmar (Road Safety 2030 High level Action For Road Safety) - Recommendations of an Expert Mission invited by the Government of Myanmar and supported by the Suu Foundation. Paris, April 2017, page 13 of 21 "A national speed limit law featuring maximum speed limits on urban roads (48 km/h) and rural roads (80 km/h)"
- Strict speed limit enforcement begins in Mandalay | The Myanmar Times
- "Myanmar, Metric and British equivalents in weights & measures". Myanmar–English Dictionary. Department of the Myanmar Language Commission, Ministry of Education, Union of Myanmar.