|Andreas Henke (Co-CEO)|
Marianne Burmester (Co-CEO)
|Products||High-end audio components|
Car audio systems
Number of employees
Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH, commonly referred to as Burmester, is a German manufacturer of high-end audio components. The company is based in Berlin-Schöneberg and was founded in 1977 by an Austrian-born musician and engineer Dieter Burmester (1946–2015).
Burmester Audiosysteme got its beginning in 1977. As a musician since his early days, Dieter Burmester always wanted to make his audio components and loudspeakers reproduce music as natural and pure as possible.
It was the malfunction of a faulty preamplifier that caused the development of the first Burmester product. Because the products on the market couldn’t satisfy Dieter Burmester’s high demands, he built his own preamplifier, the Burmester 777 in July 1977 from parts of medical machines, which he produced in his own engineering office. The 777 is still the core element of Burmester's products and model of the type designation of the following components (composed of the year 77 and the month number 7).
Because the 777 was very successful, Burmester wanted to bring the first hi-fi power amplifier with symmetrical signal routing on the market. This was a novelty for the hi-fi world. However, in the beginning it was difficult to convince retailers and journalists.
By 1978, Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH was fully established. Already in 1978, the company introduced the characteristic chrome design, which has been copied various times and even found its way into the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.
In 1980, Burmester developed and produced the world's first modular preamplifier, the Burmester 808. Further milestones are the symmetrical switching technology, which was first used by Burmester in 1983, the first amplifier with DC coupling from the phono stage through to the speaker terminals and the first remote controlled speaker adjustment with relay circuit resistors, both introduced in 1987. In 1991, the company brought the first belt-driven CD player to the market.
In 1994/95, Burmester enlarged its portfolio with loudspeakers and brought the first speaker system with a dual active/passive crossover network. In some models they use an air motion transformer as a tweeter or a particularly large chassis with a diameter of 17 centimetres (6.7 in) for the mid-range frequencies. Also in 1994, Burmester built a universal solution to clean the power supply. By now the manufacturer also offers in-wall loudspeakers and an all-in-one system.
Dieter Burmester was named ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ in 2003 by the Berlin Association of Independent Business Owners. Burmester Audiosysteme is one of the founding members of the German Manufactories Initiative (Initiative Deutsche Manufakturen), the 'Handmade in Germany' foundation which represents German manufactories of handmade products and craftsmanship.
Dieter Burmester passed away in August 2015 at the age of 69, after a short but severe illness. After his death, the company was led by his widow Marianne Burmester. Since the 1st of January 2017, Andreas Henke joined as co-CEO of Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH.
Burmester offers its products in three product lines and price points: Classic Line, Top Line, and Reference Line. As an extension to the traditional product lines, the Burmester Phase 3 is offered as an all-in-one home music system.
Until today all products are developed in Berlin, manufactured by hand and distributed by dealers in around 50 countries on 5 continents. Most of the component parts are sourced from Germany.
In 2005, Burmester Automotive was founded to develop hi-fi sound systems for cars.
With the introduction of the Porsche Panamera in 2009, the Burmester Surround Sound System was introduced as an optional equipment. Within the following years the Burmester system could also be found on the option list for all other Porsche models.
The cooperation with Mercedes-Benz also started in 2009. Together the companies developed two new audio systems, in particular for the S-Class model. In the following years more sound systems have been introduced for the C-Class, the V-Class and the E-Class. In line with the partnership, sound systems for the Mercedes-AMG GT and the Maybach S-Class have been developed as well.
Burmester's sound systems in the models of Porsche and Mercedes-Benz offer three different default settings: Pure, Smooth, and Live. The 3D-mode is only available in the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, the E-Class, the new W177 A-Class and the Porsche Panamera.
- "Dieter Burmester". Burmester Audiosysteme. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Burmester Audiosysteme GmbH - Imprint". Burmester Audiosysteme. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Muttscheller, Rasmus (12 October 2017). "Burmester - 40 years high end". Daimler Supplier Magazine. Daimler. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Who is Who english: Burmester Audiosysteme". FIDELITY online. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Burmester Audiosysteme". Deutsche Manufakturen. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Dieter Burmester (1946–2015)". The Absolute Sound. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Test English: Burmester Phase 3 All-in-One". FIDELITY online. 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Burmester Audiosystems - InWall Loudspeaker". Burmester Audiosysteme. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Matthies, Bernd (6 March 2003). "Elektronik, die zu Herzen geht - Berlin". Tagesspiegel (in German). Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Burmester Audiosysteme - Product Lines". Burmester Audiosysteme. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Burmester Audiosysteme - Phase 3". Burmester Audiosysteme. Retrieved 2018-01-15.
- "Burmester Sound System In Bugatti Veyron". Sybarites. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "2016 Mercedes-AMG GT S review: Almost a budget supercar". Roadshow. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Staff, Robb Report (2015-07-05). "10 Car Stereos for the World's Finest Luxury Cars". Robb Report. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "The Burmester sound system in the new S-Class". Mercedes-Benz International. 2013-10-10. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Sound Check: Mercedes E-Class W213 with Burmester Sound". LowBeats. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Porsche Panamera - Burmester® High-End 3D Surround Sound System". Porsche AG - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. Retrieved 2017-09-06.