Burn to Shine (DVD series)
Burn to Shine is an ongoing series of music DVDs created by Trixie DVD, a collaboration between filmmaker Christoph Green and ex-Fugazi drummer Brendan Canty. The filmmakers select a house that is set to be demolished in a certain city and ask a member of a local band to curate the event. In one day they shoot all of the selected bands giving each band an hour to set up and perform with no overdubs or corrections. They document the house's history and subsequent demolition, creating bookends for the performances on the DVD. As of May 16, 2008, four volumes have been released.
Volume 1: Washington DC 01.14.2004
Curated by: Brendan Canty
- Q and Not U - "X-Polynation"
- Medications - "Domestic Animals"
- Garland of Hours - "Words Versus"
- French Toast - "Insane"
- Ted Leo - "Bleeding Powers"
- Weird War - "AK-47"
- The Evens - "Mount Pleasant Isn't"
- Bob Mould - "Hoover Dam" (Sugar song)
Volume 2: Chicago IL 09.13.2004
Curated by: Bob Weston
- The Lonesome Organist - "Catching Flies With Teeth"
- Pit Er Pat - "The Bog Man"
- Shellac - "Steady As She Goes"
- The Ponys - "Shadow Box"
- Wilco - "Muzzle of Bees"
- Tight Phantomz - "Ninja Talk"
- Freakwater - "Jewel"
- Red Eyed Legends - "Je M'appelle Macho"
- Tortoise - "Salt the Skies"
Volume 3: Portland, OR 06.15.2005
Curated by: Chris Funk
- The Thermals - "Welcome to the Planet"
- Quasi - "Peace and Love"
- The Planet The - "Look of a Woman"
- Mirah - "Light the Match"
- Sleater-Kinney - "Modern Girl"
- The Ready - "For All You Know"
- The Lifesavas - "The Warning"
- The Shins - "Saint Simon"
- The Decemberists - "The Mariner's Revenge Song"
- Wet Confetti - "Take My Advice"
- The Gossip - "Listen Up!"
"Bonus" track: Tom Heinl - "Christmas Tree on Fire"
Volume 4: Louisville, KY
Curated by: William Benton
It was recently announced that Volume 4 is in post-production and was filmed in Louisville. Contributing bands include Dead Child, Ultra Pulverize, Will Oldham, Magik Markers, Lords, Verktum, Commonwealth, Shipping News, Liberation Prophecy, Parlour, and Lucky Pineapple. A release date has not been announced.
Volume 5: Seattle, WA 01.27.2007
Curated by: Benjamin Gibbard
- Spook the Horse - "Another New Year"
- Harvey Danger - "Little Round Mirrors"
- Tiny Vipers - "On This Side"
- Blue Scholars - "Morning of America"
- Dave Bazan - "Cold Beer and Cigarettes"
- Benjamin Gibbard - "Broken Yolk in Western Sky"
- Eddie Vedder - "Can't Keep" (Pearl Jam song)
- Minus the Bear - "Arctic Knights"
- The Cave Singers - "Called"
- The Long Winters - "Departure"
- Kinski - "Crybaby Blowout"
- The Can't See - "Barfight"
- Triumph of Lethargy Skinned Alive to Death - "Big Bed"
- Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter - "The Air is Thin"
Volume 6: Atlanta, GA
Curated by: Lee Tesche
In a recent interview with Brendan Canty in the Creative Loafing, it was revealed that a new edition was filmed on July 29, 2007 in Atlanta. Canty also revealed the twelve contributing bands, which include Shannon Wright, The Liverhearts, The Selmanaires, Deerhunter, Black Lips, Delia Gartrell, The Mighty Hannibal, The Carbonas, The All Night Drug Prowling Wolves, The Coathangers, Snowden, and Mastodon.
-  Creative Loafing. Retrieved on 2015-07-15.