Burnett Heads, Queensland
Entering Burnett Heads
|Population||2,656 (2016 census)|
Burnett Heads is a coastal town and locality at the mouth of the Burnett River in Bundaberg Region, Queensland, Australia, located 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) north of the regional city of Bundaberg. In the 2016 census, Burnett Heads recorded a population of 2,656 people.
According to the 2016 census of Population, 2,656 people in Burnett Heads.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 3.8% of the population.
- 80.5% of people were born in Australia. The next most common country of birth was England at 4.0.
- 91.9% of people spoke only English at home.
- The most common responses for religion were No Religion 31.0%, Anglican 22.5%, Catholic 16.3% and Uniting Church 7.7%.
The town's most notable feature is its historic timber lighthouse, the Old Burnett Heads Light, dating from 1873. The structure, originally sited on South Head (the southern entrance to the Burnett River), was replaced by a modern structure in 1971; the original lighthouse was restored and moved to a local park off Mittelheuser Street. It includes the original Fresnel lens.
In recognition of its lighthouses, Burnett Heads stages the annual Lighthouse Festival on the last Saturday in October.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Burnett Heads (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Burnett Heads - town (entry 5382)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Burnett Heads - locality (entry 44698)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Premier Postal Auctions. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Australia: Queensland's East Coast". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "The Lighthouse Festival". Retrieved 26 June 2017.
Media related to Burnett Heads at Wikimedia Commons
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Burnett Heads
- "Old Burnett Heads Lighthouse". Lighthouses of Queensland. Lighthouses of Australia Inc.
- "New Burnett Heads Lighthouse". Lighthouses of Queensland. Lighthouses of Australia Inc.
- Town map of Burnett Heads (north), 1972
- Town map of Burnett Heads (south), 1973
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|