|Origin||Washington, D.C., United States|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, Post-punk, Alternative rock|
|Associated acts||Jawbox, Government Issue, Channels, Office of Future Plans|
|Past members||J. Robbins
Burning Airlines were an American rock band from Washington, D.C.. J. Robbins and Bill Barbot of Jawbox formed the band with Peter Moffett, formerly of Government Issue. The band released two full-length albums, a self-titled 7" and "split" releases with At the Drive-In and Braid.
Robbins and Barbot had been jamming with Moffett while their band Jawbox was still active, briefly considering him to fill in after drummer Zach Barocas' departure. However, this lineup was not to be, and Jawbox called it quits shortly thereafter. Taking their name from a Brian Eno song, Burning Airlines quickly released their first 7", and shortly thereafter their debut CD "Mission: Control!" was released in 1999 on DeSoto Records.
Unable to tour full-time, Bill Barbot left the band to be replaced by longtime friend and Jawbox roadie, Mike Harbin, also of the band Jack Potential, took over as bassist. This lineup toured extensively and recorded second album, "Identikit", released on DeSoto Records in 2001. Shortly afterwards, Benjamin Pape was added as second guitarist/keyboards/vocalist.
Burning Airlines were in the middle of a major North American Tour when the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York occurred. Many clubs refused to display the band's name prominently so shortly after the attacks and the band considered changing their name, but decided the name was still appropriate, and had taken a new meaning and relevancy. The band then abruptly split up in 2002.
- Carnival/Scissoring 7" (Desoto Records, 1998)
- Back of Love split with Braid (DeSoto Records, 1999)
- The Deluxe War Baby split with At the Drive-In (Thick Records, 2000)
- Admiral - Michael Harbin
- Channels - J. Robbins
- Dove - Peter Moffet
- Forensics - Michael Harbin
- Government Issue - J. Robbins, Peter Moffet
- Jawbox - J. Robbins, Bill Barbot
- Report Suspicious Activity - J. Robbins
- Wool - Peter Moffet
- Jack Potential (band) - Mike Harbin
- Office of Future Plans - J. Robbins
- By Any Other Name... Would Burning Airlines sound as sweet? — Copper Press 9 (2002)
- Burning Airlines - BandToBand.com