Burning Love (band)
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Labels||Southern Lord, Deranged, High Anxiety, Thirty Days of Night Records|
|Past members||David O'Connor
Burning Love is a hardcore punk band from Toronto, Ontario, Canada formed in 2007. The band consists Chris Colohan of the hardcore band Cursed and of the ex-members of Toronto-based sludge band Our Father. The band have released two albums, two EPs and a number of split singles.
- 1 History
- 2 Personnel
- 3 Reception
- 4 Discography
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Burning Love started in 2007 as a side project to the Toronto bands Cursed and Our Father. This lineup included Colohan (ex-Cursed), a prominent figure in the Canadian hardcore scene, and Our Father members bassist Dave O'Connor, guitarists Pat Marshall and Andrus Meret, and drummer Easton Lannaman. While the band began recording their first EP in 2007, it was abandoned due to their dissatisfaction with the recording (most of the songs would appear on their 2009 demo cassette and EP). It was not until the sudden breakup of Cursed that the band began (in 2008/2009) writing and recording full-time.
Burning Love (2008–2009)
Following the dissolution of Cursed in 2008, Burning Love recorded a 10-minute demo and released it on 8-track tape and free digital download. The demo was later pressed into a self-titled 7 inch in 2009 and released first on British label Thirty Days of Night Records (to coincide with a UK tour), and then domestically 24 April 2010 on Deranged Records.
Songs for Burning Lovers (2010–2011)
In February and March 2010, the band recorded their first full-length in Toronto with producer-musician Ian Blurton. On the 25 April 2010, the band released the 7" single "Don't Ever Change" b/w "Jack the Ripper" on Deranged Records. A European version with an alternate cover (limited to 500) was released in November 2010 to coincide with a full tour of Europe and the UK. In January 2011 David O'Connor left the band and was replaced on bass by Alex Goodall (aka "Hawk"). A live split LP with friends and tour mates Coliseum was recorded 27 June 2010 at the Atlantic in Gainesville, Florida during the tour. The live album was released 12 July 2011 by Tee Pee Records and Sound Study Recordings.
Rotten Thing To Say LP and Singles (2012)
The Rotten Thing To Say LP was recorded and produced by Kurt Ballou at God City in Salem, Massachusetts and released on Southern Lord Records in June 2012. The band toured Canada, Australia and a full US tour with Black Breath, Sweden's Martyrdod and Enabler, featuring Poison Idea and others. Guitarist Andrus Meret left the band in 2012; his last show with the band was the Rotten Things to Say release show in Toronto.
In spring 2012, a 7" EP titled Black Widow featuring an alternate version of the LP song "Karla" and a cover of the Laughing Hyenas' "Love's My Only Crime" was released on High Anxiety ahead of the LP. It was recorded by Josh Korody at Candle Studios in Toronto. A split EP with New Jersey's Fight Amp is also expected to be released in later 2012 as part of a mailorder split EP series from Hell Comes Home (Ireland).
- Chris Colohan – lead vocals
- Alex "Hawk" Goodall – bass
- Pat Marshall – guitar
- Easton "The Business" Lannaman – drums
- David O'Connor – bass, guitar
- Andrus Meret – guitar
Exclaim! magazine named Songs for Burning Lovers the Number 2 Punk Album of 2010. Exclaim! writer Keith Carman said, "Detuned and thunderous while still melodically brilliant, gritty and raw, Songs For Burning Lovers is a rapid-fire dose of biting riffs, palpitating beats and pulverizing vocals." The band was later nominated for Punk/Hardcore Artist/Group of the Year at the 2011 Indie Awards.
- 2008 Burning Love – Cassette (Nerve Hold Records), Vinyl (Deranged)
- 2009 "Burning Love" (Thirty Days of Night (UK) / Deranged)
- 2010 "Don't Ever Change" (Deranged)
- 2011 "Mess" – City Limits Compilation (High Anxiety)
- 2012 "Black Widow" (High Anxiety)
- 2010 Songs for Burning Lovers (Deranged)
- 2012 Rotten Thing to Say (Southern Lord)
- 2011 Live at the Atlantic Coliseum / Burning Love (Tee Pee Records & Sound Study Recordings)
- 2012 Burning Love / Fight Amp Split 7" (Hell Comes Home Records Subscription 7" Series)
- "Live at the Atlantic - Burning Love,Coliseum". AllMusic. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Coliseum To Issue Split Live LP With Burning Love". bravewords.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love". burninglove416.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Exclusive: Ex-Cursed Front-Man Gets Back on the Horse with Burning Love". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Dead Air At The Pulpit: Burning Love - Unreleased Demos (2007-2009)". www.deadpulpit.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love (7" EP release)". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love (2) - Songs For Burning Lovers". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love (2) - Don't Ever Change B/W Jack The Ripper". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love". NOW Toronto Magazine - Think Free. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Burning Love To Part Ways With Guitarist Andrus Meret". Theprp.com. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Punk: Year in Review 2010 - Page 2 of 10". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "SiriusXM INDIES - cast your vote for your favourite independent artist.". SiriusXM INDIES. Retrieved 2015-11-26.