Burnley railway station
View from platform 3 looking towards Melbourne in May 2014.
|Location||Burnley Street, Burnley|
|Distance||5.33 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||4 (2 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 May 1880|
Burnley railway station is located on the Lilydale, Belgrave, Alamein and Glen Waverley lines in Victoria, Australia. It serves the inner eastern Melbourne suburb of Burnley opening as Burnley Street on 1 May 1880 being renamed Burnley on 1 September 1882.
Stabling facilities are located at the eastern end of the station, adjacent to the Glen Waverley line, while an additional little used siding is located at the western end, as well as a signal box.
In 1966, the signal box was rebuilt, the Burnley Street level crossing was grade-separated and the line towards Richmond upgraded to quadruple track. The third line to Hawthorn was commissioned in 1972. The stabling facilities were provided in 1997, as part of the closure and replacement of Jolimont Yard.
Facilities, platforms & services
Burnley has two island platforms. The southern island platform (platforms 1 & 2) features a large building with a customer service window, an enclosed waiting room and toilets. Burnley is serviced by Metro Trains' Lilydale, Belgrave, Alamein and Glen Waverley line services.
Platforms 1 & 2:
- Lilydale line: services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: services to Flinders Street
- Alamein line: services to Flinders Street
- Glen Waverley line: services to Flinders Street
Platform 3 & 4:
- Lilydale line: services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: services to Belgrave
- Alamein line: services to Alamein
- Glen Waverley line: services to Glen Waverley
Yarra Trams operates one route via Burnley station:
- Burnley Vicsig
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 33. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- Burnley Interlocking Information Vicsig
- Public Transport Corporation signalling diagram "Burnley Stabling Sidings: 65/97". www.signaldiagramsandphotos.com. Retrieved 2008-07-20.[dead link]
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Alamein Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Glen Waverley Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 70 Waterfront City Docklands - Wattle Park timetable Public Transport Victoria
Media related to Burnley railway station, Melbourne at Wikimedia Commons