|Judge of the Los Angeles County Superior Court|
|Appointed by||Gray Davis|
|Preceded by||Laurie D. Zelon|
|Los Angeles City Attorney|
|Preceded by||Roger Arnebergh|
|Succeeded by||Ira Reiner|
|Alma mater||University of Southern California (B.A.)
New York University (J.D.)
Early life and education
Pines was born (on 16 May 1939) Burt Landeau, the only child of Charles Landeau and Ruth Pines. His parents divorced when Pines was a year old, and his mother changed his name to Pines shortly thereafter. Pines graduated from the University of Southern California and then from the New York University Law School.
In June 2003, when it appeared almost certain that a recall election against Governor Gray Davis would be certified and while still serving as judicial appointments secretary, Pines himself applied for a judgeship. The recall election was certified on July 23, and during the October special election voters recalled Davis and elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as the new governor. On November 11, 2003, as one of the many appointments during his final days in office, Davis appointed Pines to the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Pines filled the vacancy created when Judge Laurie Zelon was elevated to the California Court of Appeal in Los Angeles County.
References and notes
- Greene, Robert (December 29, 2000). "Accomplished Attorney and Politician, He Now Presses for Excellence on the Bench". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Grace, Roger M. (November 4, 2009). "Further Prequel to 1984 DA’s Race: City Attorney Reiner Breaches Legal Ethics". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Overend, William (August 17, 1986). "Stephen Reinhardt of 9th Circuit : Liberal U.S. Judge Swims Against Conservative Tide". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Lesher, Dave (December 12, 1998). "2 L.A. Political Veterans Picked to Advise Davis". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Guccione, Jean; Dolan, Maura (August 14, 2003). "Davis Has Appointed Cluster of Judges Since Recall Qualified for the Ballot". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Watson, David (November 13, 2003). "Davis Names Pines, Five Others to Los Angeles Superior Court". Metropolitan News-Enterprise. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
|Los Angeles City Attorney