Burt Township, Alger County, Michigan
|Burt Township, Michigan|
|• Total||258.0 sq mi (668.3 km2)|
|• Land||230.5 sq mi (596.9 km2)|
|• Water||27.5 sq mi (71.3 km2)|
|Elevation||968 ft (295 m)|
|• Density||2.3/sq mi (0.87/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626008|
There are no incorporated municipalities in the township. There are a few unincorporated communities:
- Grand Marais is at the northern terminus of M-77 and is the eastern gateway into the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
- Green Haven is at Seney. on M-77 north of
- Youngs was the name of a post office in the township at Seney Township in Schoolcraft County. The station on the Mantistique Railway was named McDonald, but the post office was named for Frank Youngs, the first postmaster. The office operated from May 5, 1899, until May 15, 1901. , near the southern boundary with
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 258.0 square miles (668.3 km2), of which 230.5 square miles (596.9 km2) is land and 27.5 square miles (71.3 km2), or 10.68%, is water.
|Source: Census Bureau. Census 1960- 2000, 2010.|
As of the census of 2000, there were 480 people, 243 households, and 148 families residing in the township. The population density was 2.1 per square mile (0.8/km²). There were 715 housing units at an average density of 3.1 per square mile (1.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.50% White, 0.62% Native American, and 1.88% from two or more races. 22.9% were of German, 10.5% French, 10.0% Irish, 9.0% English, 8.5% Finnish and 8.0% Polish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 243 households out of which 13.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.3% were married couples living together, 5.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.7% were non-families. 36.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.98 and the average family size was 2.52.
In the township the population was spread out with 13.5% under the age of 18, 3.3% from 18 to 24, 13.5% from 25 to 44, 36.0% from 45 to 64, and 33.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 57 years. For every 100 females there were 100.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $27,500, and the median income for a family was $32,656. Males had a median income of $30,750 versus $25,208 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,008. About 3.4% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.6% of those under age 18 and 4.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Burt Township, Alger County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Burt township, Alger County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Green Haven, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Youngs Post Office (historical)