Gerald Tommaso DeLouise
April 30, 1940
|Occupation||Actor, painter, author|
(m. 1961; died 1974)
Gerald Tommaso DeLouise (born April 30, 1940), better known by his stage name Burt Young, is an American actor, author and painter. He is best known for his role as Rocky Balboa's brother-in-law and best friend Paulie Pennino in the Rocky film series, being nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for the first film.
He has also appeared in Chinatown (1974), The Gambler (1974), The Killer Elite (1975), Convoy (1978), Uncle Joe Shannon (1978), Once Upon a Time in America (1984), The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984), Back to School (1986), Last Exit to Brooklyn (1990), Mickey Blue Eyes (1999), Transamerica (2005), and Win Win (2011), and had a guest appearance on The Sopranos (2000).
Young was born in Queens, New York, the son of Josephine and Michael, a high school shop teacher. He is of Italian descent. Young is a widower and has one daughter, Anne Morea, and one grandson. He lives in Port Washington, New York.
In the Marines and in boxing
Young served a tour of duty in the United States Marine Corps from 1957 to 1959. While in the Marine Corps, he won 32 of 34 boxing bouts. He later turned pro and compiled a 17–0 record under three different aliases. His manager was Cus D'Amato.
Young made his name playing rough-edged working class Italian-American characters, the best-known example being his signature role as Rocky Balboa's friend (and future brother-in-law) Paulie in Rocky (1976), for which he received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He is one of four actors (the other three being Sylvester Stallone, Stu Nahan and Tony Burton) who have appeared in all of the first six Rocky films (although Talia Shire, who appears in the first five films, makes a flashback appearance in the sixth). Young did not reprise his role in the 2015 film Creed, with the character described as having died in 2012.
He has played similar roles in Chinatown, Convoy, Back to School, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Once Upon a Time in America, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Downtown: A Street Tale, and even a brutal and darker role in Amityville II: The Possession. Young has also appeared in many television programs, including The Rockford Files, Baretta, Law & Order, Walker, Texas Ranger, M*A*S*H. He guest-starred in a Miami Vice episode, and made an appearance on The Sopranos ("Another Toothpick") as Bobby Baccalieri's father, who is dying of cancer and comes out of retirement to execute a hit on his godson.
In 2017, Burt Young returned to the stage as an aged mob boss in The Last Vig, a play written by Dave Varriale. The show ran from January 14 to February 19, 2017, at The Zephyr Theatre in Los Angeles.
As a painter and a writer
Young is also a painter; his art has been displayed in galleries throughout the world. As an artist, he has collaborated with the writer Gabriele Tinti, for whom he designed the cover for the poetry collection All Over, as well as contributing the illustrations for the art book A Man.
Young is also a published author whose works include two filmed screenplays and a 400-page historical novel called Endings. He has written two stage plays: SOS and A Letter to Alicia and the New York City Government from a Man With a Bullet in His Head.
|1970||Carnival of Blood||Gimpy||as John Harris|
|1971||Born to Win||First Hood|
|The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight||Willie Quarequlo|
|1972||Across 110th Street||Lapides|
|1973||Cinderella Liberty||Master at Arms|
|1975||The Killer Elite||Mac|
|Live A Little, Steal A Lot||Sgt. Bernasconi|
|1976||Harry and Walter Go to New York||Warden Durgom|
|Rocky||Paulie Pennino||Nominated—Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|1978||Convoy||Bobby "Love Machine" Pig Pen|
|Uncle Joe Shannon||Joe Shannon||Also writer|
|1979||Rocky II||Paulie Pennino|
|1981||Blood Beach||Sgt. Royko|
|...All the Marbles||Eddie Cisco|
|1982||Rocky III||Paulie Pennino|
|Amityville II: The Possession||Anthony Montelli|
|Lookin' to Get Out||Jerry Feldman|
|1984||Over the Brooklyn Bridge||Phil|
|Once Upon a Time in America||Joe|
|The Pope of Greenwich Village||Bed Bug Eddie|
|1985||Rocky IV||Paulie Pennino|
|A Summer to Remember||Fidel Fargo|
|1986||Back to School||Lou|
|1989||Going Overboard||General Noriega|
|Beverly Hills Brats||Clive|
|1990||Last Exit to Brooklyn||Big Joe|
|Wait Until Spring, Bandini||Rocco Saccone|
|Club Fed||Warden Boyle|
|Diving In||Coach Mack|
|Rocky V||Paulie Pennino|
|Red American||George Maniago|
|1992||Circle of Fear||Mancini|
|1993||Excessive Force||Sal DiMarco|
|1997||She's So Lovely||Lorenzo|
|Kicked in the Head||Jack|
|Heaven Before I Die||Pollof||Direct-to-video|
|The Good Life||Jimmy||Never released|
|Red-Blooded American Girl II||Roy||Direct-to-video|
|The Undertaker's Wedding||Alberto||Direct-to-video|
|1999||Mickey Blue Eyes||Vito Graziosi|
|Loser Love||Sydney Delacroix|
|2000||The Florentine||Joe McCollough|
|Very Mean Men||Dominic Piazza|
|Table One||Frankie Chips||Direct-to-video|
|2002||The Adventures of Pluto Nash||Gino|
|Kiss the Bride||Santo Sposato|
|2003||Crooked Line||Mike Ameche|
|2004||The Wager||Jack Stockman|
|2005||Land of Plenty||Sherman|
|Carlito's Way: Rise to Power||Artie Bottolota, Sr.||Direct-to-video|
|Shut Up and Kiss Me||Vincent Bublioni|
|2006||RevoLOUtion: The Transformation of Lou Benedetti||Himself|
|Nicky's Game||Leo Singer||Short film|
|Rocky Balboa||Paulie Pennino|
|2007||Blue Lake Massacre||Pops|
|Downtown: A Street Tale||Gus|
|Go Go Tales||Murray|
|Hack!||J. T. Bates||Direct-to-video|
|2008||Carnera: The Walking Mountain||Lou Serosi|
|2009||New York, I Love You||Landlord|
|2011||Win Win||Leo Poplar|
|2012||Asleep at the Wheel||Judge||Pre-production|
|2013||See You Tomorrow||Mario Palagonia|
|2013||Tom in America||Michael|
|2014||Rob the Mob||Joey D|
|2018||The Amityville Murders||Brigante|
|2018||Road to the Lemon Grove||Zio Vincenzo|
|2019||Bottom of the 9th||Scaleri|
|1969||The Doctors||Bartender||Episode #1785 10/10/1969|
|1973||The Connection||Ernie||Television film|
|1973||M*A*S*H||Lieutenant Willis||Episode: "L.I.P. (Local Indigenous Personnel)"|
|1974||The Great Niagara||Ace Tully||Television film|
|1976||The Rockford Files||Stuart Gaily||Episode: "The Family Hour"|
|1975–1976||Baretta||Johnny Checco||3 episodes|
|1976||Serpico||Alec Rosen||Episode: "The Deadly Game"|
|1976||Woman of the Year||Ralph Rodino||Television film|
|1978||Daddy, I Don't Like It Like This||Rocco Agnelli||Television film|
|1980||Murder Can Hurt You||Lt. Palumbo||Television film|
|1983||You and Me Kid||Television series|
|1984||Miami Vice||Lupo Ramirez||Episode: "Give a Little, Take a Little"|
|1985||Airwolf||Episode: "Prisoner Of Yesterday"|
|1985||A Summer to Remember||Fidel Fargo||Television film|
|1985||The Equalizer||Louie Ganucci||Episode: "The Confirmation Day"|
|1986||Alfred Hitchcock Presents||Ed Fratus||Episode 1x23, "Road Hog"|
|1987||Roomies||Nick Chase||8 episodes|
|1990||Vendetta: Secrets of a Mafia Bride||Vincent Dominici||Television miniseries|
|1992||The Final Contract||Television film|
|1992||Tales from the Crypt||Gambler||Episode: "Split Personality"|
|1993||Double Deception||Zimmer||Television film|
|1994||Columbo||Mo Weinberg||Episode: "Undercover"|
|1994||Crocodile Shoes||Lou Benedetti||Television miniseries|
|1995||Bless This House||Mr. Riveto||Episode: "The Postman Always Moves Twice"|
|1996–1997||Walker, Texas Ranger||Jack "Soldier" Belmont||2 episodes|
|1997||The Last Don||Virginio Ballazzo||Television miniseries|
|1997||Law & Order||Lewis Darnell||Episode: "Mad Dog"|
|1997||Before Women Had Wings||Louis Ippolito||Television film|
|1997||The Outer Limits||Captain Parker||Episode: "Tempests"|
|1998||Greener Fields||Gallagher||Television film|
|2001||The Sopranos||Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri, Sr.||Episode: "Another Toothpick"|
|2002||Alternate Realities||Frank||Television series|
|2003||The Handler||Dino Mantoni||Episode: "Bruno Comes Back"|
|2009||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Eddy Mack||Episode: "Snatched"|
|2013||Baciamo le mani - Palermo New York 1958||Gillo Draghi||Television miniseries (Italian)|
|2016||Horace and Pete||Horace Sr.||Web miniseries, Episode #1.10|
|2018||Kevin Can Wait||Marv||Season 2|
|2019||Russian Doll||Joe||Recurring role|
- Martone, Eric, ed. (2016). Italian Americans: The History and Culture of a People. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO. p. 278. ISBN 9781610699952. OCLC 969364579.
- Burt Young Biography – Yahoo! Movies Archived January 7, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Lester, Peter (July 17, 1978). "Actor-Writer Burt Young Has An Ex-Pug's Mug, but He Can Knock Out Scripts in Three Weeks". People. Vol. 10 no. 3. Retrieved February 22, 2017.
- Genn, Adina (February 13, 2015). "On Display: Artwork of Actor Burt Young". Patch Media. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Gurley, George (July 1, 2002). "Is Burt Young Alive?". The New York Observer. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Bock, Hal (October 26, 1984). "Marathon Week can be hazardous to health". Times-News. Hendersonville, North Carolina. Associated Press. p. 17. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Gergen, Joe (February 17, 1985). "Rocky's Brother-in-Law Knows the Ropes: Burt Young Tries Boxing in Real Life as Co-Manager of a Challenger". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Mladinich, Robert (November 12, 2009). "PAULIE'S PREDICTION: Oscar-Nominated Burt Young Likes Pacman". The Sweet Science. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Gerbasi, Thomas (April 13, 2018). "Burt Young Reflects on 'Rocky' Series, Career, 'Paulie' Character". Boxing Scene. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- Canby, Vincent (November 22, 1976). "Film: 'Rocky,' Pure 30's Make-Believe". The New York Times. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- "Rocky's House in "Creed"". Total Rocky. January 19, 2016. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Klugman, Deborah (January 20, 2017). "Rocky Star Burt Young Takes the Stage as an Aging Mobster With a Problem". LA Weekly. Voice Media Group. Retrieved April 26, 2017.
- Gasparri, Elena (November 13, 2013). "GABRIELE TINTI AND BURT YOUNG :: ALL OVER". DROME magazine. Archived from the original on November 12, 2018. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Jacques, Rich (January 4, 2014). "Reminder: Library to Present Burt Young One Man Show Sunday". Patch Media. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Kaan, Gil (January 9, 2017). "Burt Young Lightly Spars on His Life From Rocky to THE LAST VIG". Better Lemons. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "The wild, untold story of The Good Life". Little White Lies. February 11, 2017. Retrieved February 24, 2017.