Burton Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Burton Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Location of Burton Township in Geauga County
|• Total||24.4 sq mi (63.2 km2)|
|• Land||24.3 sq mi (62.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,260 ft (384 m)|
|• Density||179.4/sq mi (69.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086149|
Burton Township is one of the sixteen townships of Geauga County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,358 people in the township, 2,908 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Claridon Township - north
- Huntsburg Township - northeast corner
- Middlefield Township - east
- Parkman Township - southeast corner
- Troy Township - south
- Auburn Township - southwest corner
- Newbury Township - west
- Munson Township - northwest corner
The village of Burton is located in central Burton Township.
Name and history
Burton Township was established in 1806, and named after Titus Burton, the son of a first settler. It is the only Burton Township statewide.
The township is governed by a five-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 21.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.