Bury South (UK Parliament constituency)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Bury South in Greater Manchester.
Location of Greater Manchester within England.
|Population||97,842 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||75,140 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Prestwich, Radcliffe, Whitefield|
|Member of parliament||Ivan Lewis (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Middleton and Prestwich & Bury and Radcliffe|
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
Bury South is a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. Since 1997 the MP has been Ivan Lewis of the Labour Party.
1983-2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Bury wards of Besses, Holyrood, Pilkington Park, Radcliffe Central, Radcliffe North, Radcliffe South, St Mary's, and Sedgley.
2010–present: The Metropolitan Borough of Bury wards of Besses, Holyrood, Pilkington Park, Radcliffe East, Radcliffe North, Radcliffe West, St Mary’s, Sedgley, and Unsworth.
The constituency was created in 1983 from parts of the former seats of Middleton and Prestwich & Bury and Radcliffe. It covers the suburban towns of Radcliffe, Whitefield and Prestwich. The name of the seat is somewhat misleading as it does not contain any area of the town of Bury itself (which is in Bury North), but only towns in the south of the Metropolitan Borough of Bury.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Bury South|
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Ankers||1,690||3.6||−14.6|
|English Democrats||Valerie Morris||170||0.4||−0.7|
|General Election 2010: Bury South|
|Liberal Democrat||Victor David D'Albert||8,796||18.2||+1.1|
|English Democrats||Valerie Morris||494||1.0||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Bury South|
|Conservative||Alexander Paul Williams||10,829||27.7||+0.8|
|Liberal Democrat||Victor David D'Albert||6,968||17.8||+3.9|
|UKIP||Jim H. Greenhalgh||1,059||2.7||+2.7|
|Independent||Mrs. Yvonne Hossack||557||1.4||N/A|
|General Election 2001: Bury South|
|Conservative||Mrs. Nicola Lesley Le Page||10,634||26.9||−5.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Tim David Pickstone||5,499||13.9||+5.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Bury South|
|Liberal Democrat||Victor David D'Albert||4,227||8.4||−0.5|
|Referendum||Bryan Hilton Slater||1,216||2.4||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
|General Election 1992: Bury South|
|Liberal Democrat||Adrian Hugh Cruden||4,832||8.9||−4.1|
|Natural Law||Mrs Norma Annette Sullivan||228||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Bury South|
|Social Democratic||Derek Anthony Eyre||6,772||13.1||−6.4|
|General Election 1983: Bury South|
|Social Democratic||Keith John Evans||9,628||19.5||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Bury South: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Bury South 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Bury South". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC - Election 2010 - Bury South
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Bury South — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.