|Born||Gilbert Joseph Griffiths
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Died||September 25, 2006
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
|Now You're Logging|
Bus Griffiths (born Gilbert Joseph Griffiths, 1913 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada – September 25, 2006 in Comox, British Columbia) was a cartoonist, lumberjack, and fisherman. He was best known for his full length graphic novel, Now You're Logging published 1978 by Harbour Publishing. Now You're Logging presented, in cartoon form, a complete look at the techniques, tools, and personalities of logging on the west coast in the 1930s.
He began drawing cartoons while working as a logger, doing work for Vancouver's Maple Leaf Publishing during World War II and comic strips about logging for BC Lumberman magazine. He retired from logging in 1961 and began work as a commercial fisherman. In 1972 he began work on Now You're Logging to document logging in the era before modern technology. A complete picture is presented of the techniques and lives of the typical logger of the 1930s, with tree felling and log bucking, high climbers, chasers, choker setters, a hooktender, an accident and rescue in the woods, the use of the crosscut saw, rigging, a spar (tree), log transport on both truck and water, and operation of the steam donkey all shown and explained. Logging is interwoven with a love story involving one of the loggers and the daughter of a fishing family near their logging camp.
The Comics Journal said about the book in 1996: "a true anomaly: written and drawn by a man with decades of experience in the woods, it's a book with no clear antecedent, more intent on documenting a way of life than telling a story", adding "it might just change your perception of what comics are, what they can do, and why we need them." 
- Shawn Conner, quoted from Comics Journal at http://sequential.spiltink.org/?p=1423 retrieved 24 Jan 2008
- Obituary from Sequential: Comics News and Culture From Canada
- An academic analysis of Now You're Logging from Labour/Le Travail, Canadian Committee on Labour History
- Excerpts from Now You're Logging from the B.C. Forest Discovery Centre website
- 1978: Now You're Logging (Harbour Publishing) ISBN 978-1-55017-033-7
- 1978: Bush Poems (Harbour Publishing) ISBN 0-920080-20-0
- 1991: Patrick and the Backhoe (Nightwood Editions) ISBN 978-0-88971-052-8