Busby Islet Conservation Park
|Busby Islet Conservation Park
Australian pelicans nest in the park
|Nearest town or city||Kingscote|
|Established||1 January 1967|
|Area||17 ha (42 acres)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Busby Islet Conservation Park is a protected area located on Busby Islet in Nepean Bay on the north coast of Kangaroo Island in South Australia. The conservation park is located about 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) north of the town of Kingscote and occupies an area of 17 hectares (42 acres) on Busby Islet. It was dedicated in 1967 for 'the conservation of wildlife habitat' replacing previous statutory protection dating back to 1909. A management philosophy for the park published in 1987 supports the need to 'ensure the conservation, in perpetuity, of the natural environment, in particular the breeding habitat for birds of the ocean and seashore'. The conservation park is reported as supporting breeding populations of Australian pelicans, black-faced and pied cormorants, pied and sooty oystercatchers, and silver and Pacific gulls, serving as a roost site for migratory waders and being a place visited by Rock parrots and little grassbirds. The conservation park was declared as a 'no entry' area in October 2014. The conservation park is classified as an IUCN Category Ia protected area.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 17 Feb 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 16 March 2014.
- "Busby Islet Conservation Park". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- "CAPAD 2012 South Australia Summary (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Robinson, A. C.; Canty, P.; Mooney, T.; Rudduck, P. (1996). "South Australia's offshore islands" (PDF). Australian Heritage Commission. pp. 138, 140 & 147. ISBN 978-0-644-35011-2. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Anon (1987). Conservation Parks of Kangaroo Island Management Plan (PDF). Adelaide: Department of Environment and Planning, South Australia. pp. 26–27. ISBN 0-7243-8983-0.
- "Bay of Shoals Sanctuary Zone" (PDF). Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|