|Elevation||1,110 m (3,640 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Busembatya is located on the northern edge of Iganga District. Its closest neighboring metropolitan area is the town of Namutumba in Namutumba District, a distance of approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi), by road, northeast of Busembatya. This location is approximately 66 kilometres (41 mi), by road, northeast of Jinja, the largest city in the Busoga sub-region. The town is located on the main Iganga–Tirinyi–Kamonkoli–Mbale road. The coordinates of the town are 0°46'30.0"N, 33°37'30.0"E (Latitude:0.7750; Longitude:33.6250). Busembatya has an average elevation of 1,110 metres (3,640 ft), above sea level.
The Uganda national census of 2002 counted the population of the town at 11,553. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 15,200. In 2011, UBOS estimated the population at 15,700. The Basoga are the main inhabitants of Busembatya, and the main language spoken is Lusoga, although most people know many other languages including Luganda and English.
Busembatya, which sits on a highland surrounded by swamps, is known for rice growing. Busembtya's rice mills served most of Busoga before other areas in the sub-region were connected to the national power grid. As a result, the population growth in Busembatya has gone down.
- "Road Distance Between Busembatya And Namutumba With Route Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Map Showing Jinja And Busembatya With Route Marker". Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Google (5 July 2015). "Location of Busembatya At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- FMN (5 July 2015). "Average Elevation of Busembatya Town". Floodmap.net (FMN). Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- UBOS (2012). "Estimated Population of Busembatya In 2002, 2010 & 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2015.