The Buses of Somerset
|Parent||First South West|
|Service type||Bus services|
|Chief executive||Alex Carter|
The Buses of Somerset is the trading name used by bus operator First South West for services operated in Somerset from depots in the towns of Taunton and Bridgwater since 2014. The services were formerly managed as part of First Somerset & Avon.
Southern National was formed in 1983 as the Somerset and Dorset operations of Western National (then part of the National Bus Company). It was privatised in 1988, acquired by FirstGroup in 1999 and rebranded as First Southern National. In 2003 the Somerset operations of First Southern National were merged into First Somerset & Avon. In 2014 the services were relaunched as 'The Buses of Somerset'.
The new brand identity and livery is the first major departure from the FirstGroup corporate identity and livery which was previously applied almost universally across the group's bus operations. The business instead now uses a two tone green and cream livery with bespoke branding, website and social media profiles.
The company operates smaller vehicles branded 'The Buses of Taunton' on its Taunton town services.
The Buses of Somerset initially operated from two depots in Taunton and Bridgwater along with an outstation in Minehead. Yeovil was added in 2016, having previously been part of First Hampshire & Dorset.
- First Devon & Cornwall Limited formerly First Western National Limited formerly Western National Limited Companies House extract company no 01669417
- Buses Magazine, Issue 648, March 2009, Ian Allan Publishing
- First introduces The Buses of Somerset Euro Transport 30 January 2014
- First drops corporate look in Somerset Archived 15 March 2014 at the Wayback Machine Bus & Coach Professional 5 February 2014
- "First South West" (PDF). UK Buses. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Aled Williams". LinkedIn. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Buses of Somerset.|