|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
CV9035 in Dutch service
|Place of origin||United States|
|Used by||Danish Defence, Armed forces of the Netherlands, Estonian Defence Forces|
|Weight||Total: 480 lb (218 kg)
Barrel: 250 lb (113 kg)
|Length||158.19 in (4,018 mm)|
|Action||Chain gun: open bolt, forward ejection|
|Rate of fire||Cyclic: 200 rounds/minute|
|Muzzle velocity||1,180 m (3,871 ft) /s|
|Feed system||Dual linked and linkless, 24 volts|
The Bushmaster III is an automatic/semi-automatic cannon designed and built by Alliant Techsystems. It is based on the M242 Bushmaster originally developed by Alliant Techsystems. The weapon has been selected as primary armament for export version of the CV90 infantry fighting vehicles (IFV) currently in service by the Danish, Dutch and Estonian armies.
The U.S. Army is testing the Bushmaster 50 mm cannon as a counter rocket, artillery, and mortar (C-RAM) and counter unmanned aerial vehicle (C-UAV) weapon. Initially developed under the Extended Area Protection and Survivability Integrated Demonstration (EAPS ID), it has been successfully tested in tracking distant moving targets using interferometric radar as a sensor, fire control computer, and radio frequency transmitter and receiver to launch a course-correcting projectile. The command guided interceptors have a thruster that receives commands for maneuvering and warhead detonation, with a tantalum-tungsten alloy liner to form forward propelled penetrators to defeat C-RAM targets, and steel body fragments to destroy UAVs. The systems can destroy UAVs at a range of 1 km (0.62 mi) and at a height of 1,500 m (4,900 ft).
- Recoil: 14,000 lb/6300 kg
- Receiver: 150 lb/68 kg
- Feeder: 80 lb/36 kg
- Barrel: 250 lb/113 kg1
- Total: 480 lb/218 kg
- Rate of Fire: Semi-automatic or 200 rpm
- Power Required: 3.0 horsepower (2.2 kW) at 24 volts
- Clearing Method: Open Bolt, semi-closed bolt
- Safety: Absolute hangfire protection
- Case Ejection: Forward
1 Includes gun barrel, drive motor, recoil system and integral dual feeder.
- M230 30 mm automatic cannon
- Bushmaster II 30 mm chain gun
- Bushmaster IV 40 mm chain gun
- Oerlikon GDF
- Bofors 40 mm gun
- Larrinaga, de, Nicholas (10 October 2016). "Estonia receives first CV90 IFVs". IHS Jane's 360. Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- Third armaments revolution set to unfold - Army.mil, 24 April 2015
- Innovative Army technology gains new potential - Army.mil, 9 July 2015
- Army engineers demonstrate anti-drone technology - Army.mil, 5 October 2015