|Bushmills shown within Northern Ireland|
|Population||1,319 (2001 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
Bushmills is a village on the north coast of County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Bushmills had 1,319 inhabitants in the 2001 Census. It is located 60 miles (97 km) from Belfast, 11 miles (18 km) from Ballycastle and 9 miles (14 km) from Coleraine. The village owes its name to the River Bush and to a large watermill that was built there in the early 17th century.
- 19.9% were aged under 16 and 22.1% were aged 60 and over
- 49.2% of the population were male and 50.8% were female
Places of interest
The village is best known as the location of the Old Bushmills Distillery. The distillery's products include the Bushmills Original and Black Bush blends, as well as the 10-, 12-, 16-, and 21-year-old Bushmills Single Malts. To celebrate the 400th anniversary of distilling starting in the area the distillery released a unique whiskey called the "1608" which included crystal malt. The distillery draws its water, not from the River Bush itself, but from a tributary known as Saint Columbs Rill.
The Giant's Causeway, which attracts over two million visitors per year, is located 2 miles (3.2 km) north of the town.
Bushmills railway station opened on 28 January 1883, but finally closed on 1 October 1949. There is a narrow-gauge steam train running in the summer from Bushmills to the Giant's Causeway.
The Belfast-Derry railway line run by Northern Ireland Railways connects to Coleraine and along the branch line to Portrush. Local Ulsterbus provides connections to the railway stations. There is a scenic walk of 7 miles from Portrush alongside Dunluce Castle and the Giant's Causeway and Bushmills Railway.
Schools in the area include Dunluce School and Bushmills Primary School.
- Dunluce Castle US NI Department of the Environment. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- Placenames Database of Ireland
- NI Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (ie with a population between 1,000 and 2,250 people.)
- NI Neighbourhood Information Service
- "Bushmills station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Sister Cities Online Directory: UK, Europe Archived April 15, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.." Sister Cities International. Retrieved on March 26, 2007.
- "Dolphin Mk 3 Technical Manual" (PDF). Retrieved 21 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bushmills.|