|Elevation||4,026 ft (1,227 m)|
Busia, Kenya is located in Busia County, approximately 451 kilometres (280 mi), by road, northwest of Nairobi, Kenya's capital and largest city. This location is immediately east of Busia, Uganda. The coordinates of Busia, Kenya are: 00°27'48.0"N, 34°06'19.0"E (Latitude:0.463333; Longitude:34.105278). Busia, Kenya sits at an average elevation of 1,227 metres (4,026 ft), above sea level.
The towns of Busia, Kenya and Busia, Uganda are very busy border towns on Kenya's border with Uganda. The towns of Malaba, Kenya and Malaba, Uganda, approximately 29 kilometres (18 mi) to the north, along with the Busia megalopolis account for the bulk of trade and human traffic between the two East African Community countries.
It is expected that in May 2016, the construction of a one-stop-border-crossing between Busia, Kenya and Busia, Uganda will conclude. The construction on the Uganda side was completed in May 2016, and that on the Kenya side concluded in July 2017. The common upgraded border crossing is expected to be commissioned on Saturday 24 February 2018, jointly by presidents Uhuru Kenyatta of Kenya and Yoweri Museveni of Uganda.
In 2021 it was reported that large quantities of Ugandan sugar were being smuggled into Kenya through Busia. Sugar in Kenya was more expensive but the failure of Kenyan sugar production meant that sugar could achieve an even high price.
The 2009 Kenyan census recorded Busia's population as 51,981.
- "Kenya county fact sheets" (PDF). Commission on Revenue Allocation. December 2011. p. 4. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- Aggrey Mutambo, and Gaitano Pessa (23 February 2018). "Busia open border reduces cost of doing business, leaves losers sulking". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Globefeed.com (24 February 2018). "Distance between Central Business District, Nairobi, Kenya and Busia, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Google (24 February 2018). "Location of Busia, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- FloodMap.net (24 February 2018). "The Elevation of Busia, Kenya". Floodmap.net. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Globefeed.com (24 February 2018). "Distance between Customs Offices, A 109, Malaba, Kenya and Busia, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Lorch, Donatella (2 April 1994). "Busia Journal; Where Uganda and Kenya Collide". The New York Times. New York City. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Ochieng, Lilian (28 April 2016). "Malaba, Busia one-stop border posts works set to end by July". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Aggey Mutamboby, and Gaitano Pessa (23 February 2018). "Uhuru, Museveni to launch Busia one-stop border post". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- ISSAfrica.org (2021-11-29). "Sweet deals for Kenya's sugar smugglers". ISS Africa. Retrieved 2021-12-18.
- "Inspiration". International School for Champions. Retrieved 2021-12-18.