2.0.0 / 2012
|Operating system||Cross-platform - web-based.|
Business Catalyst is a hosted (SaaS) all-in-one solution for building and managing business websites. It has sales, service, and marketing features such as eCommerce and Email Marketing tools. The company was founded in 2004 by two Australian entrepreneurs, Bardia Housman and Adam Broadway. It was acquired by Adobe Systems in August 2009.
Business Catalyst's business model differs from others in that they allow web designers to resell their hosted service as part of a "Partner Program".
A reseller channel of paid "Partners" receive specialized tools for site provisioning and management, commissions on hosting fees, live training and in some instances ability to rebrand the platform as their own.
Business Catalyst experimented with a direct-to-customer strategy under the “GoodBarry” brand before the offering was closed down as a part of the Adobe acquisition.
The Business Catalyst platform incorporates features including:
- Content management
- eCommerce (catalog, payment gateway providers)
- Email marketing
- Integrated CRM database
- Reporting & analytics
- Social media integration
- 2004 - Business Catalyst is released as a platform designed for building and managing online businesses.
- 2005 - Business Catalyst launches their Dreamweaver Extension “Triangle”, an early extension to provide real-time connectivity between Dreamweaver and a hosted service.
- 2006 - Business Catalyst launches service in Australia.
- 2007 - The company opens its retail "GoodBarry" brand, targeted towards do-it-yourself business owners.
- 2008 - Business Catalyst opens their first international office in San Francisco, USA.
- August, 2009 - Business Catalyst is acquired by Adobe Systems, closing down the GoodBarry brand to focus solely on the web professional market.
- April, 2010 - Adobe announces the opening of the first of three new datacenters for their Business Catalyst service
- May 2012 - Adobe includes base Business Catalyst hosting as part of the Creative Cloud platform.
- "Adobe acquires Business Catalyst". Adobe.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Wauters, Robin (2009-08-31). "Adobe Buys Business Catalyst / GoodBarry". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Adobe acquires Business Catalyst, GoodBarry | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com". Blogs.zdnet.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Adobe Business Catalyst - Overview". Businesscatalyst.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "GoodBarry Review". Design Shack. 2008-10-17. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Business Catalyst CMS Review". Lyntonweb.com. 2010-01-28. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Riley, Duncan (2007-10-20). "GoodBarry GoodBusiness Aims To Make Ecommerce Easier". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Adobe Business Catalyst - About". Businesscatalyst.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Goodbye, GoodBarry". Goodbarry.com. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Adobe Opens New Datacenters for Business Catalyst". Business Wire. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Now Available, Adobe News Release, 2012-05-11, retrieved 2012-05-15