Business intelligence tools
Business intelligence tools are a type of application software designed to retrieve, analyze, transform and report data for business intelligence. The tools generally read data that have been previously stored, often, though not necessarily, in a data warehouse or data mart.
Types of business intelligence tools
The key general categories of business intelligence tools are:
- Reporting and querying software: tools that extract, sort, summarize, and present selected data
- OLAP: Online analytical processing
- Digital dashboards
- Data mining
- Data warehousing
- Local information systems
Except for spreadsheets, these tools are sold as standalone tools, suites of tools, components of ERP systems, or as components of software targeted to a specific industry. The tools are sometimes packaged into data warehouse appliances.
Open source free products
Open source commercial products
- Jaspersoft: Reporting, Dashboards, Data Analysis, and Data Integration
- Palo (OLAP database): OLAP Server, Worksheet Server and ETL Server
- Pentaho: Reporting, analysis, dashboard, data mining and workflow capabilities
- TACTIC: Reporting, management, dashboard, data mining and integration, workflow capabilities
Proprietary free products
- Actuate Corporation
- Data Applied
- Decision Support Panel
- Dexon Business Intelligence
- Dundas Data Visualization, Inc.
- Dimensional Insight
- Dynamic AI
- Grapheur, implementing the reactive business intelligence (RBI) approach
- GoodData - Cloud Based
- IBM Cognos
- IDV Solutions Visual Fusion
- Information Builders
- Jaspersoft (now TIBCO, iReport,Jasper Studio, Jasper Analysis, Jasper ETL, Jasper Library)
- JReport (from Jinfonet Software)
- Klipfolio Dashboard
- List & Label
- Logi Analytics
- Panorama Software
- Pentaho (now Hitachi Data Systems)
- Pervasive DataRush
- SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence
- Siebel Systems
- Spotfire (now Tibco)
- Sybase IQ
- Tableau Software
- TARGIT Business Intelligence
- Yellowfin Business Intelligence
- Zoho Reports (as part of the Zoho Office Suite)
- "Dexon Business Intelligence". Dexon. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Business Intelligence: Dashboards, Reporting and Analytics". Domo. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- "Numetric". Numetric. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- "Unleash the Semantic Layer". VeroAnalytics.
- Predictive Analytics Magazine: Top Business Intelligence Tools (February 2012)
- BusinessWeek Magazine: Giving the Boss the Big Picture: A dashboard pulls up everything the CEO needs to run the show (February 2006)
- Passionned Group: A completely vendor neutral survey (2015 edition) (May 2015)
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Business Intelligence Software's Time Is Now (March, 2009)