Busselton Senior High School
|Busselton Senior High School|
|Busselton, Western Australia
|Motto||Finis Coronat Opus|
|Colour(s)||Blue, White and Gold|
The school was established in 1958 and by 2012 had an enrolment of 562 students between Year 8 and Year 12, approximately 6) of whom were Aboriginal.
The school was struck by tragedy in 1980 when in May holidays of 1980 a number of students from Busselton Senior High School flew out of Perth airport for a school excursion in New South Wales. After landing in Adelaide the students boarded buses to drive through outback areas of South Australia and New South Wales. Just out of the town of Hay on Mothers Day one of the buses ran off the Sturt Highway, resulting in the deaths of the Adelaide bus driver John Mackenzie and two students Tracy Blum and Ann Lloyd both aged 15 years. With so many people injured much of the town of Hay was mobilized to help.
Parts of the school including the Administration area, Staffroom and Geographe Education Support Centre were vandalised and then set alight in September 2009 causing an estimated $150,000 in damage.
Enrollments at the school have declined over the past five years with 980 students enrolled in 2007, 880 in 2008, 806 in 2009, 699 in 2010, 585 in 2011 and 562 in 2012.
Raelene Harris was the principal from before 2009 to 2011 when she left for long service leave for 2012 and was replaced with Terry Sanbrook. Soon after in 2014 Dainon Couzic replaced him and went on to be principal.
In 2015, the school will be introducing Year 7 students into the high school.
- "Three killed in Bus crash Parents' anguish". The Age. Google. 12 May 1980. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Death bus inquest". Sydney Morning Herald. Google. 23 September 1980. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Arson suspected in Busselton School blaze". 2009. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "School Sport WA - SHS Country Week results". 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Department of Education Schools online". 2011. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2011.