Busted Flat Records
|Busted Flat Records|
|Parent company||Busted Flat Records|
|Founder||Mark Logan, owner of Encore Records and co-founder, Jnana Records|
|Distributor(s)||F>A>B> Distribution, Encore (Kitchener, Canada)|
|Genre||Roots, folk, blues, Americana, rock, alt-country|
|Country of origin||Canada|
Busted Flat Records is Canadian independent record label, founded in 2002.
Busted Flat Records is an independent music label, founded in 2002 by Mark Logan and based in Kitchener, Canada. Logan, the owner of a vinyl music store in Kitchener, Encore Records, started Busted Flat Records to record and release a live album by Shannon Lyon. The label has grown to include, as of 2013, 24 artists and has released approximately 65 recordings.
Musicians on the roster include/have included blues artist, Matt Andersen (two-time Maple Blues Awards winner, recipient of the Best Solo performance at the International Blues Challenge, and winner of several East Coast Music Awards), as well as Paul MacLeod, Brock Zeman, Lynn Jackson, Ambre McLean, Shannon Lyon, Jay Semko, the Billie Hollies and many other Canadian singer-songwriters.
The label name was taken from a line in the song, "Me and Bobby McGee" made popular by Janis Joplin. The label was founded to showcase talent from the Southern Ontario region, but has since branched out to release acts from across Canada and Europe. The label specializes in roots, Americana, blues, folk and alt-country acts.
According to a feature article in Exclaim! magazine, Busted Flat Records operates on a business model that favours the independent artist, with approximately "75 percent of the profits going to artists, 15 percent paying for production and roughly ten percent going to the label." In a recent (2011) review, Busted Flat Records was named "one of the most respected roots music outlets in the country."
In 2013, the label distributed its first release by an American artist: Have Harmony, Will Travel, a collection of duets by Carla Olson, who had previously co-founded The Textones. The album includes contributions from Barry Goldberg, Cindy Cashdollar, Scott Kempner, Rob Waller from I See Hawks In L.A., Juice Newton, Richie Furay, John York, Peter Case, James Intveld and Scott Kempner.
- McPherson, David (2002-10-06). "Busted Flat Records". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Shannon Lyon Music : Homepage". Shannonlyonmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "Busted Flat. Really, really good music". 570News. 2013-07-25. Archived from the original on 2013-11-10. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- "Matt Andersen". Busted Flat Records. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Busted Flat Records". Busted Flat Records. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Humphries, Carrie. "The Billie Hollies | Echo Weekly Online Edition". Echoweekly.com. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Schneider, Jason (2011-03-06). "Shannon Lyon Checks In from Berlin with This Love This Love". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2014-05-18.