Philipps at the Teen Choice Awards in 2010
|Born||Elizabeth Jean Philipps
June 25, 1979
Oak Park, Illinois, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Marc Silverstein (m. 2007)|
Elizabeth Jean "Busy" Philipps (born June 25, 1979) is an American actress, known for her supporting roles on the television series Freaks and Geeks and Dawson's Creek. She has also performed significant roles in films like The Smokers (2000), as Karen Carter, the drama film Home Room (2002) as Alicia Browning, she appeared in White Chicks (2004), played a supporting role in Made of Honor (2008) and appeared in He's Just Not That Into You (2009). She played Laurie Keller in the TV series Cougar Town for which she won the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in 2011.
Elizabeth Jean Philipps was born in Oak Park, Illinois. Her parents gave her the nickname Busy because as an infant she was always moving. She attended Chaparral High School in Scottsdale, Arizona. She attended Loyola Marymount University at the same time as Linda Cardellini and former boyfriend Colin Hanks.
Philipps worked the toy-fair circuit as a real-life Barbie ("Cool Teen Skipper") before making her show-business debut. Her first major role was Kim Kelly in Freaks and Geeks, in which she appeared in all but one of its eighteen episodes (the exception being the episode titled "Chokin' & Tokin'"). She later made her film debut in comedy The Smokers in 2000, as well as various other cameos on television.
In 2001, Philipps was cast as Audrey Liddell in the teen drama Dawson's Creek. She was a series regular in seasons 5 and 6, appearing in 46 episodes, before the show finished in 2003. Her role of Audrey earned Philipps a Teen Choice Awards nomination in the category of "TV - Choice Sidekick". Philipps later appeared in two films, Home Room (2002) and White Chicks (2004). She was cast in the UPN sitcom Love, Inc., in a role originally intended for Shannen Doherty. The show lasted for one season (2005–2006) before being cancelled. In 2006, she had a major recurring role as Hope Bobeck on ER, alongside her Freaks and Geeks co-star Linda Cardellini. During her second year on ER, her character headed to South America to "fulfill her Christian mission". Philipps had a co-credit for the storyline of the 2007 comedy film Blades of Glory. A year later, Philipps returned to being in front of the camera with her supporting role in Made of Honor.
Philipps has also made appearances in He's Just Not That Into You as the character of Kelli Ann and on an episode of How I Met Your Mother. From 2009 to 2015, Philipps portrayed Laurie Keller in the television series Cougar Town. Philipps also routinely contributes to the Thrilling Adventure Hour, a live stage radio show. Her primary recurring character is the Red Plains Rider.
On a 2010 appearance on Chelsea Lately, Philipps commented that she auditioned for the hit television show Glee just one week after giving birth, following a pregnancy during which she gained 80 pounds.
Philipps married screenwriter Marc Silverstein in 2007. They have two daughters: Birdie Leigh (born August 13, 2008), whose godmother is actress Lizzy Caplan; and Cricket Pearl (born July 3, 2013).
|2000||Smokers, TheThe Smokers||Karen Carter|
|2002||Home Room||Alicia Browning|
|2004||Mummy an' the Armadillo||Carol Ann|
|2004||White Chicks||Karen Googlestein|
|2005||Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story||Additional Voices||Voice|
|2008||Made of Honor||Melissa|
|2009||He's Just Not That Into You||Kelli Ann|
|2011||I Don't Know How She Does It||Wendy Best|
|2012||The Reef 2: High Tide||Cordelia||Voice|
|2012||Made in Cleveland||Shannon|
|2013||A Case of You||Ashley|
|2014||Jason Nash is Married||Busy Philipps|
|1999||Saving Graces||Mindy||TV series|
|1999–2000||Freaks and Geeks||Kim Kelly||18 episodes|
|2000||Malcolm in the Middle||Meghan||Episode: "High School Play"|
|2001||Anatomy of a Hate Crime||Chasity Pasley||TV movie|
|2001||Spring Break Lawyer||Jenny||TV movie|
|2001||Dead Last||Tracy Sallback||Episode: "Death Is in the Air"|
|2001–2003||Dawson's Creek||Audrey Liddell||39 episodes|
|2003||Criminology 101||Polly||TV movie|
|2004||Foster Hall||Peg Hall||TV movie|
|2005||Life As We Know It||Alex Morrill||2 episodes|
|2005||Testing Bob||Madison 'Maddie' West||TV movie|
Episode: "Threat Levels"
|2005||Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!||Korlianne||Voice
Episode: "Girl Trouble"
|2005–2006||Love, Inc.||Denise Johnson||22 episodes|
|2006–2007||ER||Dr. Hope Bobeck||19 episodes|
|2007||Entourage||Cheryl||Episode: "Dog Day Afternoon"|
|2007||How I Met Your Mother||Rachel||Episode: "Third Wheel"|
|2008–2009||Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles||Kacy Corbin||5 episodes|
|2009||Kath & Kim||Whitney||Episode: "Competition"|
|2009–2015||Cougar Town||Laurie Keller||96 episodes|
|2011||Community||Greendale Team Member (uncredited)||Episode: "For a Few Paintballs More"|
Episode: "We've Got Fish Spirits"
|2012||Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23||Herself||Episode: "A Reunion..."|
|2012||RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars||Herself (Guest Judge)||Episode: "RuPaul's Gaff In"|
|2013||Arrested Development||Joan||Episode: "Borderline Personalities"|
|2014–2016||Drunk History||Elizabeth Waring / Eleanor Roosevelt||2 episodes|
|2014||Garfunkel and Oates||Karen||Episode: "Hair Swap"|
|2015||Bottom's Butte||Beverly Bottom||Voice
|2016||New Girl||Connie||Episode: "300 Feet"|
|2016||Angie Tribeca||Courtney Woodpatch-Newton||Episode: "Miso Dead"|
|2016–present||Vice Principals||Gale Liptrapp||7 episodes|
|2016||Bajillion Dollar Propertie$||Cate Kates||Episode: "Spiritual Gurus"|
|2017||The Odd Couple||Natasha||Episode: "Should She Stay or Should She Go?"|
Awards and nominations
|2003||Teen Choice Awards||Dawson's Creek||"Choice TV: Sidekick"||Nominated|
|2011||Critics' Choice Television Awards||Cougar Town||Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Won|
- "Busy Philipps Biography". TVGuide.com. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Busy Philipps". IMDb.
- Heldman, Breanne L. (April 25, 2008). "'Made of Honor' star Busy Philipps has a lot on her plate". NY Daily News. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- "Busy Philipps". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on August 12, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- Angelowicz, Ami (July 27, 2012). "All The Famous People Who Went To Our High Schools". The Frisky. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Soriano, César G. (January 10, 2002). "Colin Hanks follows his dad's lead". USA Today. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Turner, Lauren (February 12, 2016). "66 Celebrity Couples You Most Definitely Forgot About". Pop Sugar. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Kaufman, Amy (March 14, 2011). "Judd Apatow's 'Freaks and Geeks' gang reminisces -- and mocks James Franco". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- O'Toole, Lesley (February 4, 2015). "Busy Philipps Pours One Out for 'Cougar Town'". Backstage. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- "Awards for Busy Philipps". IMDb. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- Brownfield, Paul (September 22, 2005). "Don't make a date with 'Love, Inc.'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Mitovich, Matt (August 31, 2007). "Busy Busy Philipps Checks Out of the ER". TV Guide. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Halterman, Jim (September 29, 2009). "COUGAR TOWN's Busy Philipps on being a troublemaker". Jim Halterman. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Weber, Sarah (March 17, 2015). "Preparing for the end of 'Thrilling Adventure Hour'". The Daily Dot. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Arnold, Joel (February 5, 2014). "Inside 'The Thrilling Adventure Hour' Podcast with Ben Acker and Ben Blacker". SplitSider. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "Busy Philipps on Chelsea Lately". YouTube. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 30, 2015). "Busy Philipps Joins HBO Comedy Series 'Vice Principals'". Deadline. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Pearson, Jennifer (June 16, 2015). "'Here's to 80 more years': Busy Philipps celebrates eighth wedding anniversary to Marc Silverstein with gorgeous flashback photo". The Daily Mail. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Grossberg, Josh (August 14, 2008). "Busy Phillips' Little Bundle of Joy". E Online. Retrieved October 19, 2009.
- "Update: Actress Busy Philipps expecting first child, a girl". People. March 12, 2008. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (July 4, 2013). "Busy Philipps Welcomes a Baby Girl With Husband Marc Silverstein". E! Work. Retrieved July 3, 2013.
- Ehrich Dowd, Kathy (July 10, 2013). "Busy Philipps Names Daughter Cricket Pearl". People. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Rothman, Michael (June 5, 2014). "Busy Philipps: My Husband Used Our Wedding Vows in a Channing Tatum Movie". ABC News. Retrieved February 14, 2016.