But Beautiful (song)
One of five songs written by Burke and Van Heusen featured in the Paramount Pictures movie Road to Rio (1947), it was introduced by Bing Crosby and is also associated with his leading lady Dorothy Lamour. The original key is G major and has the form A-B1-A-B2. It is usually performed as a ballad.
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett covered this song on their jazz album Cheek to Cheek (album) (2014).
- Tex Beneke released a version in 1947 with Garry Stevens on vocal.
- Tony Bennett on his first album with the great jazz pianist Bill Evans -- The Tony Bennett and Bill Evans Album (1975).
- Chick Corea on his album, Solo Piano - Standards (2000).
- Royce Campbell on his CD, Plays For Lovers
- The Coasters on their album One by One (1960).
- Alma Cogan - With You in Mind (1962)
- Nat King Cole on his album The Very Thought of You (1958).
- Shawn Colvin sang the song for AT&T's concert for the benefit of the Walden Woods Project and The Thoreau Institute at Walden Woods, which was released on the album Stormy Weather (1998).
- Doris Day released at version in 1957 on her Day by Day album. (Columbia Records CL-942) recorded Sept. 17-20, 1956. conducted by Paul Weston
- In 1996, an album titled But Beautiful was released that featured live recordings by Bill Evans and Stan Getz made in 1974. The album includes a version of the Burke/Van Heusen standard.
- Aretha Franklin on her album Soft and Beautiful (1969).
- The Four Freshmen on their album Voices In Latin/The Freshmen Year (2001).
- Stan Getz and Kenny Barron performed a notable rendition at Umbria Jazz festival in 1989
- Johnny Hartman recorded the song for his 1958 album, And I Thought About You.
- Billie Holiday on her album Lady in Satin (1958).
- Shirley Horn recorded the song for her 1989 Verve album, Close Enough For Love.
- Freddie Hubbard recorded the song for his album Open Sesame (1960).
- Engelbert Humperdinck included the song on his album A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening (1985).
- Linda Lawson on her album Introducing Linda Lawson (1960)
- Carmen McRae on her album Torchy/Blue Moon (1999).
- Mike Moreno recorded a version for his 2011 album First in Mind
- Gregory Porter, jazz singer, recorded the song on his 2010 Water album
- Frank Sinatra on his 4-disc box set The Best of the Columbia Years: 1943–1952 (1998)
- Barbra Streisand on her album The Movie Album (2003).
- Nancy Wilson on her album But Beautiful (1969).
- German jazz and pop artist Marc Secara recorded the song on the CD You're Everything (2008)
- Della Reese recorded "But Beautiful" in the recording of her album "Della Reese Live In Hollywood In 1966."
- Jazz pianist Eliane Elias included the composition in her 2008 album Something for You: Eliane Elias Sings & Plays Bill Evans.
- AT&T Presents Stormy Weather Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- Johnny Hartman, And I Thought About You Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- You're Everything CD, Marc Secara and Berlin Jazz Orchestra arranged by Steve Gray, track #15