|Elevation||3,600 ft (1,100 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
Butaleja is a town in Eastern Uganda. It is the main municipal, administrative and commercial center of Butaleja District and the district headquarters are located there. The district is named after the town.
Butaleja is located approximately 38 kilometres (24 mi), by road, southwest of Mbale, the nearest large city. This location is situated approximately 210 kilometres (130 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town are:0°55'30.0"N, 33°56'42.0"E (Latitude:0.9250; Longitude:33.9450).
In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimates the town's population at 5,500. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of the town at 5,700. In 2014, the national population census put the population of Butaleja at 19,519. 
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within town:
- The headquarters of Budaka District Administration
- Butaleja Central Market
- A mobile branch of PostBank Uganda
- The offices of Butaleja Town Council
- UBOS, . (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Mbale And Butaleja With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Butaleja With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Google. "Location of Butaleja At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Butaleja In 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2014.