This biography needs additional citations for verification. (August 2022)
|Birth name||Richard Enos Thompson|
|Born||November 28, 1943|
Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, U.S.
|Died||August 14, 2022 (aged 78)|
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, ragtime, stride|
Richard Enos "Butch" Thompson (November 28, 1943 – August 14, 2022) was an American jazz pianist and clarinetist best known for his ragtime and stride performances.
Thompson was born in Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, began playing piano at the early age of three, and began taking lessons at age six. At Stillwater Area High School, he played clarinet in the band. In 1962 he joined the Hall Brothers New Orleans Jazz Band in Minneapolis and remained with the band for twenty years. From 1974–1986, he was a regular and the original pianist on the radio show A Prairie Home Companion. Since the 1960s, he led the Butch Thompson Trio.
In the 1970s, Thompson's recordings gained popularity in Europe. He toured the continent extensively in the 1970s and 1980s, both as a solo artist and as a band leader or member. He wrote for jazz publications and produced a radio show, Jazz Originals, for KBEM-FM in Minneapolis.
- Yulestride (Daring Records, 1994)
Thompson died on August 14, 2022, at the age of 78.
- ^ Aloi, Jacob (August 16, 2022). "Butch Thompson, jazz pianist with 'A Prairie Home Companion' dies". MPRNews. Retrieved August 24, 2022.
- ^ Washington, Natasha (June 2, 2006). "Thompson Trio set for festival: This jazz pianist enjoys world-class reputation in his 40-year career". The Oklahoman. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- ^ Yanow, Scott. "Butch Thompson | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- ^ Bream, Jon (August 15, 2022). "Minnesota piano giant Butch Thompson dies at 78". StarTribune. Retrieved August 17, 2022.
- Official site
- Butch Thompson discography at Discogs
- Butch Thompson at IMDb
Media related to Butch Thompson at Wikimedia Commons
- 1943 births
- 2022 deaths
- American jazz clarinetists
- American jazz pianists
- American male pianists
- People from Washington County, Minnesota
- Ragtime pianists
- Stride pianists
- 20th-century American pianists
- Jazz musicians from Minnesota
- 21st-century American pianists
- 21st-century clarinetists
- 20th-century American male musicians
- 21st-century American male musicians
- American male jazz musicians