Komuna e Butelit
City municipality (Rural)
|Region||Skopje Statistical Region|
|• Mayor||Velimir Smilevski (SDSM)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
Butel Municipality (Macedonian: Бутел (help·info); Albanian: Butel) is one of the ten municipalities that make up the City of Skopje, the capital of North Macedonia. The municipality administration consists of a council and mayor.
Butel is located along the north-central and north-eastern areas of Skopje not far the modern city center and most of the municipality extends eastward in a panhandle shape toward the Skopska Crna Gora mountain range. It borders Gazi Baba Municipality to the southeast, Čair Municipality to the south, Karpoš Municipality to the southwest, Šuto Orizari Municipality and Čučer-Sandevo Municipality to the northwest, and Lipkovo Municipality to the northeast.
Prior to 2004 Butel municipality was within the boundaries of a larger Čair municipality that had a majority Macedonian population (48.60%), followed by Albanians (38.89%), Turks (4.12%), Bosniaks (3.40%), Romani (1.46%) and Serbs (2.11%). The new territorial-administrative reform of 2004 divided the municipal unit into a smaller Čair municipality with an Albanian majority and a separate Butel municipality with a Macedonian majority. The new boundaries of Čair municipality resulted in the loss of its industrial zone to Butel municipality which previously provided most of the revenue for the Čair municipal budget.
According to the last national census from 2002 Butel has 36,154 inhabitants.
Ethnic groups in the municipality include:
- Macedonians = 22,506 (62.3%)
- Albanians = 9,107 (25.2%)
- Turks = 1,304 (3.6%)
- Serbs = 1,033 (2.6%)
- Bosniaks = 970 (2.7%)
- Ragaru 2008, pp. 542-543. "Skopje encompasses ten municipalities (Aerodrom, Butel, Čair, Centar, Gazi Baba, Gjorče Petrov, Karpoš, Kisela Voda, Saraj, Šuto Orizari), which all have a mayor, a municipal council and the same prerogatives as other municipalities in the country."
- Ragaru 2008, pp. 536-537.
- Ragaru, Nadege (2008). "The Political Uses and Social Lives of "National Heroes": Controversies over Skanderbeg's Statue in Skopje". Südosteuropa. 56 (4): 537.
- 2002 census results in English and Macedonian (PDF)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Butel Municipality.|