|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|• Total||190.34 km2 (73.49 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,381 m (4,531 ft)|
Butembo is a city in North Kivu, in the north eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, lying west of the Virunga National Park. The city is an important commercial centre with large markets, a cathedral, multiple large hospitals, and an airport. The city is located in a region known for tea and coffee growing. As of 2013 it had an estimated population of 670,285, making it the second largest city in North Kivu.
The city is home to the 2nd Integrated Brigade of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Université Catholique du Graben (UCG), founded in 1989, and the Adventist University of Lukanga (UNILUK), founded in 1979.
Ebola broke out in August 2018 in North Kivu province. A series of attacks on Ebola treatment centers in Butembo led up to the death of a policeman in March 2019 and of a doctor in April 2019. Locals mistakenly believe aid workers brought the virus to the area. More than 102,000 people received an experimental vaccine in this period, but 843 of 1300 confirmed and probable Ebola patients died. Treatment centers were earlier torched in Butembo and Katwa, and medical professionals threatened to strike.
- "Superficie et densié de la population en 2013". Bulletin Annuel des Statistiques Sociales, Province du Nord-Kivu (2013): 19. November 2014.
- Laura Seay (July 31, 2015). "Why one city in Congo is astonishingly stable and prosperous". The Washington Post.
- MONUC via Reliefweb, RD Congo : Rapport mensuel des droits de l'homme - juillet 2007
- Université Catholique du Graben (website)
- "DR Congo arrests 11 over murder of doctor fighting Ebola". Nairobi: Daily Nation. Agence France-Presse. April 26, 2019.
- "Attackers Kill Doctor at Hospital in Congo's Ebola Epicenter". VOA. Associated Press. April 19, 2019.
- "Attackers kill doctor at hospital in Congo's Ebola epicenter". Federal News Network. 2019-04-19. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- Rebecca Ratcliffe (February 28, 2019). "Arsonists attack Ebola clinics in DRC as climate of distrust grows: Health agencies re-evaluate approach after attacks on treatment centres in North Kivu". The Guardian. Retrieved April 26, 2019.
- Butembo in Google Maps
- YouTube Video of Nella Star (2007) Video by Godfried van Loo following Dutch sociologist/anthropologist Nella Star when going back to Butembo after over 30 years. With a lot of footage from the city Butembo and surroundings. Dutch/French spoken and subtitled.
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|