Butler High School (New Jersey)
|Butler High School|
|38 Bartholdi Avenue
Butler, NJ 07405
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Butler Public Schools|
|Vice principal||Kevin Kelly|
|Enrollment||475 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.4:1|
Royal blue and|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Butler High School is a four-year public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Butler, in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Butler Public Schools.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 475 students and 45.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.4:1. There were 66 students (13.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 23 (4.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The Academy for Law and Public Safety is a full-time, four-year high school program located at Butler High School. The Academy focuses on Law, Government and Public Affairs with concentrations in Law, Criminal Justice, Technology, Humanities and Law Enforcement. The Academy was founded in September 2000, as a collaborative effort of the Morris County Vocational School District, the Butler Public Schools and the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 162nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 94th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 176th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 123rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 116th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school as 224th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 14 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The original Butler High School was built in the late 1800s and soon expanded with an annex (Still existing, "Annex Building") built in 1916. The school then doubled its size with an addition parallel to Bartholdi Ave in the mid 1930s. After part of the original Butler High School caught fire in the 1963, the school was shut down briefly for renovations. The gymnasium was unusable due to water damage caused during the fighting of the fire and physical education classes were held outside for the reminder of the school year. Several classrooms in the original 1888 building were also heavily damaged and that building was town down. The school day was increased and the freshmen and some sophomores began classes later in the morning. Trailers were used for the guidance offices, freeing space in the main building for classrooms. The "Art Building" was then built to the left of the original school and opened after 1964. The "Art building" (as of 2011): four locker rooms, a gymnasium, cafeteria and kitchen, five bathrooms, nurse's office, athletic director's office, physics lab, forensic science, two art rooms, an English classroom, culinary arts, health room, photo lab, auxiliary gym, and library w/ media center. The "Main building" (as of 2011): Main and attendance offices, Principal and Vice Principal's offices, guidance offices, and academic offices. Band and choir room, auditorium, foreign language, history, mathematics, and English classrooms, and science laboratories. Also, an updated computer lab; TLC lab, and six bathrooms (two for the use of faculty) The "Annex building" (as of 2011): Butler Board of Education, student resource center, one marketing and financial classroom, and two computer labs: (Business and computer animated design).
The Butler High School Bulldogs compete in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 368 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 187 to 490 students in that grade range. Before the NJSIAA's 2010 realignment, the school had competed in the Northern Hills Conference an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools located in Essex, Morris and Passaic counties.
The football team won the NJSIAA North II Group II state sectional championship in 1982 and 1983, and won the title in North II Group I in 1990 and from 1994-97.
The girls basketball team won the 2003 North II Group I championship, defeating runner-up Glen Ridge High School 65-39. The team moved on to the Group I state championship, defeating Wildwood High School by 43 - 37 in the final game.
The girls' soccer team won the 2002 North I Group I state championship over Glen Ridge High School by a score of 2-1. In 2004 they made it to the finals again, defeating Glen Rock High School 1-0 in the final game of the tournament. The team won the sectional state championship again in 2005, with a 3-0 win over Midland Park High School.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Martin Wall, Principal
- Kevin Kelly, Vice Principal
- School data for Butler High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Butler High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 12, 2015.
- Butler Public Schools 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 7, 2016. "The district also engages in several Shared Service agreements with the Bloomingdale school district, beyond the send-receive high school experience, including sharing of school Library oversight, Special Education and sharing the services of the Student Assistance Counselor. "
- Butler High School profile, Butler High School. Accessed November 15, 2014. "Butler High School is a public high school servicing the students of the Borough of Butler and the Borough of Bloomingdale."
- Academy for Law & Public Safety, Morris County Vocational School District. Accessed February 21, 2012.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 23, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed June 22, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed February 15, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Home Page, Northern Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of January 28, 2011. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- 2015 NJSIAA Field Hockey Tournament of Champions Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 2, 2015.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- 2003 Girls Basketball - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 25, 2007.
- 2003 Girls Basketball - Group I, Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 25, 2007.
- 2002 Girls Soccer - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 25, 2007.
- 2004 Girls Soccer - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 25, 2007.
- 2005 Girls Soccer - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 25, 2007.
- Home Page, Butler High School. Accessed November 12, 2015.
- Butler High School
- Butler Public Schools
- Butler Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Butler Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics