Butler Senior High School
|Butler Area Senior High School|
|120 Campus Lane
|School type||Public, High school|
|Opened||1917-1960 (original building) 1960-present (current building)|
|School district||Butler Area School District|
|NCES District ID||4204590|
|NCES School ID||420459001147|
|Principal||Mr. Jeffery Schnur|
|Faculty||78.20 (on an FTE basis)|
|Grades||10th - 12th|
|• Grade 11||620|
|• Grade 12||637|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.01|
|Color(s)||Gold and White
|Athletics||Baseball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Hockey, Lacrosse, Rifle, Soccer, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, and marching band|
|Athletics conference||Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League (W.P.I.A.L.)|
|Mascot||Tuffy the Tornado|
The senior high school opened in 1917 in a three-story building located on East North street. The building connected beside it was the Junior and Intermediate High Schools.That building was closed as the senior high and became the Junior and Intermediate High in 1960 when a larger campus style building was built on a hillside located west on downtown Butler, this building was open in the fall of 1960. The school was ranked 37th out of 123 western Pennsylvania high schools, by the Pittsburgh Business Times in 2009, for academic achievement as reflected by three years of student results on: math, reading, writing and one year of science PSSAs.
11th Grade Reading
2009 - 70% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 65% of 11th graders on grade level.
2008 - 68%, State - 65%
2007 - 74%, State - 65%
11th Grade Math:
2009 - 70% on grade level. In Pennsylvania, 56% of 11th graders are on grade level.
2008 - 70%, State - 56%
2007 - 72%, State - 53%
11th Grade Science:
2009 - 46% on grade level. State: 40% of 11th graders were on grade level.
2008 - 40% 
According to a Pennsylvania Department of Education study released in January 2009, 27% of Butler Senior High School graduates required remediation in mathematics and or reading before they were prepared to take college level courses in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education or community colleges. Less than 66% of Pennsylvania high school graduates, who enroll in a four-year college in Pennsylvania, will earn a bachelor's degree within six years. Among Pennsylvania high school graduates pursuing an associate degree, only one in three graduate in three years. Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education, one in three recent high school graduates who attend Pennsylvania's public universities and community colleges takes at least one remedial course in math, reading or English.
The high school offers a variety of clubs, activities and sports. The Senior High is home to the Butler Golden Tornado athletics teams.
By Pennsylvania law, all K-12 students in the district, including those who attend a private nonpublic school, cyber charter school, charter school and those homeschooled, are eligible to participate in the extracurricular programs including all athletics. They must meet the same eligibility rules as the students enrolled in the district's schools.
The Butler Golden Tornado Marching Band is the representative of the Butler Area School District and community of Butler.
The band marches 240 students. Each student had to audition to be a part of the tradition of the Golden Tornado Marching Band.
Butler High School has an Army J.R.O.T.C. program (Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps) Battalion known as the Tornado Battalion. In the battalion, the cadets have options to be on staff and be in leadership positions.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Chester Aaron, writer.
- Tom Brown, NFL player
- Matt Clement, MLB baseball player.
- Brian Minto, Professional Boxer
- John Minton, Pro Wrestler 'Big John Studd'.
- James E. Pugh, Composer/Musician/Trombonist
- Harry Holiday, World Record Holding Swimmer and Corporate CEO
- Brian L. Ellis, PA State Rep.
- Milt Graff, MLB baseball player.
- Terry Hanratty, NFL football player.
- Josh Fleeger, Member of the band Buckcherry
- Bill Saul, NFL football player
- Rich Saul, NFL football player
- Ron Saul, NFL football player
- Ed Vargo, MLB Umpire
- Scott Milanovich, NFL football player and CFL Head Coach
- GiGi Gordon, Miss Pennsylvania 1996
- Annie Rosellini, Miss Pennsylvania 2013
- Glenn Crytzer, Musician
- Shelley Duffy, Pittsburgh Radio and TV personality.
- Christopher J. Michael, physicist
- William Perry, 19th U.S. Secretary of Defense.
- Meghan Schnur, soccer player.
- Daniel A. D'Aniello, American businessman
- Jay Last, Semiconductor Pioneer and Founding Father of Silicon Valley.
- Carl Yankowski, American Businessman
- Pat Kennedy, Musician, Roland V-Drum National Champion.
- Mike Kelly, U.S. Congressman
- David Pichler, U.S. Olympic Diver
- John Stuper, MLB Baseball Player
- Eric Namesnik, 2X U.S. Olympic Silver Medalist Swimmer. (Left BHS after Jr. year to attend swimming academy in Florida).
- Rick Santorum, US Senator and Presidential Candidate. (Left BHS after Jr. year when family moved to Chicago.)
- Jonathan Greenert, Chief of Naval Operations.
- Paul Uram, NFL Coach, Author and member of U.S. Gymnastics Hall of Fame.
- Michael Borja, Bassist for Louden Swain
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Butler Area Sd". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Butler Area Shs". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
- The Rankings: 11th Grades, Pittsburgh Business Times, May 15, 2009
- Butler Area School District Academic Achievement Report Card 2009
- Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children - Pennsylvania High School Graduation Rates 2007
- Pennsylvania Department of Education PSSA Math and Reading results 2007 by school and grade
- 2009 PSSAs: Reading, Math, Writing and Science Results http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/school_assessments/7442
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Report on Science PSSA 2008 August 2008.
- Pennsylvania College Remediation Report http://www.scribd.com/doc/23970364/Pennsylvania-College-Remediation-Report
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Home-Schooled, Charter School Children Can Participate in School District Extracurricular Activities, Pennsylvania Office of the Governor Press Release, November 10, 2005
- "Meghan Schnur". U.S. Soccer. Retrieved 2009-11-09.