Butler Township, Columbiana County, Ohio
|Butler Township, Columbiana County, Ohio|
Franklin Harris Farmstead on Depot Road
Location of Butler Township in Columbiana County
|• Total||32.9 sq mi (85.3 km2)|
|• Land||32.9 sq mi (85.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,296 ft (395 m)|
|• Density||110/sq mi (42.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085889|
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Goshen Township, Mahoning County - north
- Perry Township - northeast
- Salem Township - east
- Center Township - southeast corner
- Hanover Township - south
- West Township - southwest corner
- Knox Township - west
- Smith Township, Mahoning County - northwest corner
Two unincorporated communities are located in Butler Township:
- The unincorporated community of Damascus, in the northwest
- The unincorporated community of Winona, in the southeast
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Butler township, Columbiana County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Cranmer, Gibson Lamb (1891). History of the upper Ohio Valley. 2. Madison, Wisconsin: Brant & Fuller. p. 22.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.