|Founder||Cedric Dahl, Bennett Hoffman|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Cedric Dahl (CEO)
Bennett Hoffman (CTO)
Kevin Zhou (Head Economist)
Kevin Adams (Lead Developer)
|Services||Buy, sell, and trade bitcoin|
|Total assets||~$1.6 million (2013)|
Number of employees
Buttercoin was a private American start-up company that provided digital currency exchange services to the US. Specifically, Buttercoin operated a full order book trading platform for buying and selling bitcoins.
On April 6, 2015, citing a loss of interest in bitcoin from venture capital firms, the company announced that it was shutting down as of April 10, 2015.
Y Combinator, Google Ventures (Kevin Rose and Chris Hutchins), Floodate, Initialized Capital, Rothenberg Ventures, and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian invested approximately $1 million into Buttercoin. A Swiss company, Centralway Ventures, invested an additional $250,000 into Buttercoin. Combined with other sources, Buttercoin raised a total of $1.6 million as of September 2013. Subsequently, Buttercoin raised an undisclosed sum from Wedbush Securities, making it the first bitcoin company to receive investment from a large Wall Street institution. 
- Cutler, Kim-Mai (August 20, 2013). "YC-Backed Buttercoin Uses Bitcoin To Attack The $500B-A-Year Remittances Economy". TechCrunch. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Reutzel, Bailey (September 9, 2013). "Buttercoin Takes a Different Path to Handling Virtual Currency". PaymentsSource. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Lomas, Natasha (September 18, 2013). "Swiss Company-Builder Centralway Opens $50M Fund, Invests $250k In Bitcoin Whitelabel Exchange Buttercoin". TechCrunch. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Kolodny, Lora (August 19, 2013). "International Bitcoin Exchange Buttercoin Raises $1M to Revamp Remittance". VentureWire. Retrieved November 30, 2013. (subscription required (. ))
- Russell, Jon (April 6, 2015). "Google Ventures-Backed Bitcoin Exchange Buttercoin Is Shutting Down". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 6, 2015.
- Kharif, Olga (November 17, 2014). "Bitcoin Startup Buttercoin Draws Wedbush as Investor". "Bloomberg". Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Buttercoin Official website