Buxton (Midland) railway station
The two stations at Buxton; the Midland station is in the centre
|Original company||Midland Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 June 1863||Station opened|
|3 March 1967||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Buxton (Midland) railway station served the town of Buxton, Derbyshire, England between 1863 and 1967.
The station was opened by the Midland Railway (MR) on 1 June 1863. It was adjacent to, and to the south-east of, the Buxton railway station of the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway, which opened two weeks later. The two stations had similar end walls incorporating a large fan-shaped window.
The station was the terminus of the MR route from Derby. This route had opened as far as Rowsley on 4 June 1849; and was continued to Buxton in 1863. The station was 164 miles 55 chains (265.0 km) from St Pancras.
The station closed on 6 March 1967. Most of the station was subsequently demolished and the land used for a ring road. Part of the site including the trackbed of the tracks outside the station were occupied by the Buxton Steam Centre of the Peak Rail Heritage Railway in the 1970s who relaid track with ambitions to reopen the line towards Millers Dale. This plan failed and they moved their entire operations and stock to the section between Matlock, Darley Dale and Rowsley where they have successfully reopened the railway.
- Biddle, Gordon (1981). Railway Stations in the North West. Clapham, Yorkshire: Dalesman. ISBN 0-85206-644-9.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Ellis, Cuthbert Hamilton (1961) . The Midland Railway (4th ed.). Hampton Court: Ian Allan. 940/554/125 1059.
- Midland Railway System Maps (The Distance Diagrams), volume 2 - Leeds to Leicester and branches; Derby to Manchester and branches; Cheshire Lines (1909-1923 ed.). Teignmouth: Peter Kay. 1998. ISBN 1-899890-17-3.
- Buxton Station on navigable 1947 O.S. map
- History of Buxton Midland Railway Station
- "Picture the Past" Midland railway station
- "Picture the Past" Train in Ashwood Dale showing typical terrain for this line.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midland Junction Railway
Line and station closed
Line and station closed
|This article on a railway station in the East Midlands is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|