This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A buzz cut is any of a variety of short hairstyles usually designed with electric clippers. Buzz cut styles include the butch cut, crew cut, flattop and ivy league. The top of a buzz cut style may be clipped a uniform short length producing a butch cut, into one of several geometric shapes that include the crew cut and flattop, as well as other short styles. The back and sides are tapered short, semi-short, or medium. Buzz cut styles can make the face look more defined. Buzz cuts are popular with men and boys who want a short, low-maintenance hairstyle and also for those with thinning or receding hairlines. In certain countries, including Australia, China, Russia and the United States, military recruits are given buzz cut styles when they enter training, originally to prevent the spread of lice, but now for ease of maintenance, cooling, and uniformity.
Buzz cuts rose to popularity with the advent of manual hair clippers by the Serbian inventor, Nikola Bizumić, in the late 19th century. These clippers were widely used by barbers to chop hair close and fast. The clipper accumulates hair in locks to rapidly depilate the head. This type of haircut was normal where strict grooming conventions were in effect.
Wrestler Randy Orton wearing a #1 buzz cut
A politically motivated buzz cut in progress during the Libyan Crisis
Wrestler Stardust (Cody Rhodes) with a buzz cut
A Naval academy plebe buzz cut
Hockey player David Perron with a growing even buzz cut
- Victoria Sherrow (2006), Encyclopedia of hair, ISBN 9780313331459
- L.Sherman Trusty (1971). The Art and Science of Barbering. Wolfer Printing Co.
- Stephan Talty (April 19, 1998), "Crew Cuts Forever", The New York Times
- Peter Thompson (February 2003), The Real Insider's Guide to Military Basic Training, Universal-Publishers, ISBN 9781581125979
- The Men 300,000 New Sailors Will Make Navy Their Career Life Oct. 28 1940. Includes photos of WWII Era Navy Induction Crew Cut, Great Lakes Training Center.
- Scali-Sheahan, Maura; Roste, Leslie; Linquest, Linnea; Burness, Amy; Mitchell, Dennis (2017). Milady Standard Barbering(6th ed.). New York City: Cenage Learning. p. 20. ISB971-3051-0055-8
- The dictionary definition of buzz cut at Wiktionary