The phrase "Bye, Felicia" (actually spelled "Felisha" in the cast listing) came from a scene in the American stoner buddy crime comedy film Friday (1995). According to Ice Cube, who starred in the film and co-wrote its script, "Bye, Felicia" is "the phrase 'to get anyone out of your face'," and, as it was used in the Friday scene, is generally intended as a dismissive kiss-off.
In popular culture
The saying gained popularity and continues to be used, even by people who have never seen the film. In 2009, it entered the lexicon of RuPaul's Drag Race, an American reality competition television series. However, People said "even that wouldn't necessarily account for the phrase extending beyond the cultures that would watch either Friday, Drag Race or both." Furthermore, the magazine said of the phrase, "So when your square friend uses it, take a little bit of pleasure in knowing they're referencing a stoner comedy – or a drag reality show referencing a stoner comedy – even if they have no idea."
In 2014, VH1 began airing a television show called Bye Felicia, and American R&B-pop singer Jordin Sparks released a mixtape titled #ByeFelicia. According to Google Trends, the phrase reached its highest usage in mid-2015.
- Mackie, Drew (April 26, 2015). "Friday Hit Theaters 20 Years Ago – And Gave Us 'Bye, Felicia'". People. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Walker, John (November 25, 2014). "Jordin Sparks Has Two Words for Jason DeRulo On New Mixtape: 'Bye Felicia'". MTV. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "'GMA' host Robin Roberts on Omarosa's White House exit: 'Bye, Felicia'". USA Today. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- The Eternal Appeal of "Bye, Felicia," 20 Years Later by Aisha Harris and Daniel Hubbard (April 24, 2015), Slate
- Watch Ice Cube Tell Conan Why Everybody’s Saying 'Bye Felicia' by Sarah Begley (April 16, 2015), Time
- Ice Cube is so proud of 'Bye Felicia' by Maeve McDermott (April 16, 2015), USA Today
- 'Bye Felicia' Actress, Angela Means Kaaya, Talks 20-Year Anniversary of 'Friday' by Brennan Williams (April 24, 2015), The Huffington Post
- Hi, Felicia: Catching Up With ‘Friday’ Actress, Angela Means, 20 Years Later by Camille Augustin (April 24, 2015), Vibe