Bynari is a company based in Dallas, developing server and email software mainly known for its Insight Family containing a cheap email server being able to use similar to a Microsoft Exchange Server with Outlook.
Development of the products is a joint effort with various OEM partners.
Bynari’s products consist of:
- Insight Server is an email server that supports Linux and SCO’s Open Server operating systems.
- Insight Connector provides Outlook sharing for IMAP servers like Cyrus IMAP server, Courier Mail Server, Kolab and Insight Server.
- Insight Addressbook allows Outlook contacts sharing with LDAP servers.
- Insight Client is the web mail client, provides web browser access and shares calendars, contacts, folders and tasks with desktop clients.
Insight Server, formerly known as TradeXCH, is mostly a suite of many open source applications using components of Cyrus IMAP, Exim, Postfix, Berkeley DB, OpenLDAP, Apache, and ProFTP. Bynari has developed a web interface for administrating the different applications.
It was the first commercial web server based on the open source software Kolab version 1. A version based on Kolab 2 was canceled, because of Kolab's change of storing the data. It also uses Spamassassin, Clamav, and AMaViS for security. It conforms to open standards: SyncML, GroupDAV, CalDAV, and WebDAV. The middleware products are developed by Bynari and provide groupware sharing with calendars, contacts, and tasks.
The Insight Connector is a server which works like a Microsoft Exchange Server, but using IMAP and a Microsoft Outlook plugin. The server also supports MAPI Message Store Provider and thus being able to edit and change the groupware-Data "live and online" using any IMAP server. The server is also used by IBM serving over 4.600 companies.
- von Hagen, Bill (15 March 2002). "Bynari Compatability [sic]: Linux Software Vendor Provides Exchange Emulation". LinuxPlanet. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Seltzer, Larry (27 August 2002). "Outlook is bleak for competition". ZDnet. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "www.bynari.net - Insight Server...more than a Linux E mail Server". Archived from the original on 2008-01-29. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "www.bynari.net - Insight Connector for calendar sharing". Archived from the original on 2008-01-17. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- "www.bynari.net - Insight AddressBook: address book software". Archived from the original on 2008-02-01. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- www.bynari.net - Insight WebClient: web mail client Archived 2008-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- GrahammerFeilner, Thomas (2003). "Verständnisvoll" (in German). 3. Linux Magazin. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Feilner, Markus (18 January 2008). "Bynari erstellt neuen Kolab-Konnector für Outlook" (in German). Linux Magazin. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "IBM bags 10 new Linux customers". ComputerWire. The Register. 12 August 2002. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Shankland, Stephen (7 August 2002). "Server sellers bang Linux drum". CNET. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Böttger, Christian (2003). "Es muss nicht immer Outlook sein". iX (in German). Heinz Heise. 4: 48–56.
- Böttger, Christian (2010). "Groupware en miniature". iX (in German). Heinz Heise. 4: 74–80.