|Developer(s)||Dustin Kirkland (see full Authors list)|
|Stable release||5.94 (June 17, 2015[±])|
|Written in||sh, Python|
|Operating system||Linux, Unix-like|
|License||GNU General Public License v3|
Byobu is an enhancement for the GNU Screen terminal multiplexer or tmux used with the GNU/Linux computer operating system that can be used to provide on-screen notification or status, and tabbed multi-window management. It is intended to improve terminal sessions when users connect to remote servers.
Version 1.0, under the name Screen Profiles, came out of discussions at the 2008 Ubuntu Developer Summit about how to simplify the on screen notification of an administrator connected to a server.
The project was renamed to Byobu for its 2.0 release, from the Japanese byōbu folding screen. Byobu 3.0 reworked the build system to use automake and allow for porting to other Unix-like operating systems. Byobu 4.0 introduced screen splitting, reworked the status notification system, and added support for tmux profiles. The most significant change that Byobu 5.0 introduces is a shift from GNU Screen to tmux as the default backend.
- Danen, Vincent (2010-11-15). "Enhance screen with Byobu's cool functionality". TechRepublic. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Kirkland, Dustin (2011-06-19). "From the Canyon Edge: Anyone interested in Byobu profiles for Tmux?". Blog.dustinkirkland.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "The Ubuntu Server already includes a Window Manager?", December 2008, dustinkirkland.com
- Kirkland, Dustin (2009-05-05). "From the Canyon Edge: byobu 2.0 released - the project formerly known as screen-profiles". Blog.dustinkirkland.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Use byobu for extended features in your terminal window", ghacks.net
- Kirkland, Dustin (2011-12-26). "From the Canyon Edge: Byobu 5 Released!". Blog.dustinkirkland.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Paul, Ryan (2009-04-28). "Ubuntu brings advanced Screen features to the masses". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- [dead link]
- "Debian - Détails du paquet byobu dans squeeze". Packages.debian.org. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "#27810 (byobu port request) – MacPorts". Trac.macports.org. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Ubuntu Manpage
- Project home
- Ten Essential Linux Admin Tools, Ken Hess, Linux-Magazine, September 26, 2010
- Byobu: Like Screen, but Better, Juliet Kemp, ServerWatch, October 4, 2010
- Use byobu for extended features in your terminal window, Jack Wallen, ghacks.net, November 16, 2010