Howard at the 2015 Annecy International Animated Film Festival
|Alma mater||Evergreen State College|
|Occupation||Director, screenwriter, producer, animator, voice actor|
|Employer||Walt Disney Animation Studios (1994–present)|
Byron P. Howard (born December 26, 1968) is an American film director, producer, screenwriter, animator, story artist and occasional voice actor at Walt Disney Animation Studios. He is best known as the co-director of Bolt (2008), Tangled (2010), and Zootopia (2016), and a supervising animator on Lilo & Stitch (2002) and Brother Bear (2003). He was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Tangled and won an Oscar for Zootopia.
Early life and education
Howard was born in Misawa, Japan, and raised in both the outskirts of Philadelphia and Issaquah, Washington, United States, in a middle-class family. He attended Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington.
Howard began his career at Disney in 1994, working as an animator on films including Pocahontas, Mulan, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear. He was nominated for a 2003 Annie Award for Character Animation for Brother Bear.
The first film Howard directed was the animated Disney film Bolt, which was nominated for the 2008 Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. In his role as co-director of the film with Chris Williams, Howard focused on character design and animation. Howard went on to direct the animated Disney films Tangled (2010, co-directed with Nathan Greno) and Zootopia (2016, co-directed with Rich Moore). He and Greno also co-directed and wrote the animated short Tangled Ever After, which features supporting characters from Tangled and showed in theaters before the 2012 3D re-release of Beauty and the Beast.
|2000||John Henry||Supervising animator||Short film, from Disney's American Legends (2002)|
|2002||Lilo & Stitch||Supervising animator, character designer||Cobra Bubbles|
|2003||Brother Bear||Supervising animator||Nominated for Annie Award for Character Animation|
|2005||Chicken Little||Additional story artist|
|2008||Bolt||Co-director (with Chris Williams), additional screenplay material||Nominated for Academy Award for Best Animated Feature|
|2009||Super Rhino||Executive producer||Short film, included on home video release of Bolt|
|2010||Tangled||Co-director (with Nathan Greno), voices of Guard 2 and Thug 2||Won Tokyo Anime Award for International Theater; |
nominated for Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Animated Feature
|2012||Tangled Ever After||Co-director (with Nathan Greno), writer, voices of Lantern Wrangler and Chef||Short film|
|2016||Zootopia||Co-director (with Rich Moore and Jared Bush), story by,
supervising animator, voices of Travis and Bucky Oryx-Antlerson
|Won Academy Award for Best Animated Feature|
|TBA||Untitled Lin-Manuel Miranda/Byron Howard-Developed Disney Animation Film||Director|
- 2010 – Nominated: Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film for Tangled
- 2017 – Won: Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film for Zootopia
- Byron Howard [@ByronPHoward] (26 December 2015). "#Zootopia birthday wishes <3 thank you, my talented friend @LePrinceKido Can't wait to see you in Paris soon!" (Tweet) – via Twitter. /photo/1
- Justin Kroll and Rachel Abrams, "Golden Globe Nomination Reactions," Variety, December 14, 2010.
- Imagining Zootopia, Fusion, 2016.
- Ally Sikora, "A long, drawn-out process," St. Petersburg Times, September 15, 2003.
- Ramin Zahed, "Byron Howard to Direct New Disney Feature," Animation Magazine, May 6, 2013.
- Borys Kit, "Disney, 'Tangled' Director Plot New Animated Feature With Jason Bateman," The Hollywood Reporter, May 3, 2013.
- "31st Annual Annie Award Nominees and Winners," annieawards.org, 2003.
- Ellen Wolff, "Animated Oscar noms took long road," Variety, February 5, 2009.
- Peter Debruge, "Film Review: 'Zootopia'," Variety, February 12, 2016.
- Dan Sarto, "Byron Howard and Rich Moore Talk 'Zootopia'," Animation World Network, December 4, 2015.
- Christina Radish, "'Zootopia': Rich Moore, Byron Howard on Their Animated World, Frank Capra Influences," Collider, January 20, 2016.
- Noelene Clark, "'Tangled Ever After': Disney lets its hair down," Los Angeles Times, January 15, 2012.
- Buchanan, Kyle (November 15, 2016). "Lin-Manuel Miranda Reveals He's Making a Secret Disney Film". Vulture. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Andrew Stewart, "AMPAS invites 134 to join ranks," Variety, June 30, 2009.
- "Disney's Teaming Lin Manuel Miranda with Zootopia Co-Director for Secret Animated Film". Cinemablend.
- Donnelly, Jim. "ZOOTOPIA IS THE 2017 OSCAR WINNER FOR ANIMATED FEATURE FILM". The Oscars. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Byron Howard.|