Rich ex. Kunth
|> 135 species|
Byrsonima is one of about 75 genera in the Malpighiaceae, a family of flowering plants in the order Malpighiales. In particular in American English, they are known as locustberries (which also may refer specifically to Brsonima coccolobifolia or Byrsonima lucida). Another widely seen common name is serrets or serrettes.
Byrsonima comprises over 135 species of trees, shrubs, and subshrubs found in the New World tropics and subtropics from southern Mexico, southeastern Florida, and the Caribbean to southeastern Brazil. The plants have entire leaves, yellow flowers, and fleshy, edible fruits called nance; B. crassifolia in particular is known by that name, as it is an underutilized crop of some commercial importance in Latin America. They are primarily pollinated by various oligolectic native bees that are specialized to collect floral oils (e.g., Centris, Epicharis, and Tetrapedia), as the flowers do not offer the typical floral rewards.
Serrette trees are also important for some animals in their habitat. The fruits are important in the diet of certain wildlife, such as the golden conure (Guaruba guarouba), while Byrsonima leaves are food for some of the curious American moth-butterflies (Hedylidae). B. crassifolia plantings in the dry savannas of Oaxaca may even be suitable as substitute habitat for the Tehuantepec jackrabbit (Lepus flavigularis), an endangered species presently only found in three small relict populations.
- Byrsonima basiloba A.Juss.
- Byrsonima coccolobifolia (Spreng.) Kunth
- Byrsonima coriacea (L.) Kunth
- Byrsonima crassa Nied.
- Byrsonima crassifolia (L.) Kunth – nance, savanna serrette, golden spoon, murici, muruci (Brazil), nanche (Mexico)
- Byrsonima crispa A.Juss.
- Byrsonima cydonaefolia A.Juss.
- Byrsonima horneana Britton & Small (Puerto Rico)
- Byrsonima intermedia A.Juss.
- Byrsonima laxiflora Griseb.
- Byrsonima laevigata (Poir.) DC.
- Byrsonima lucida (Mill.) DC. – locustberry, clam cherry, gooseberry
- Byrsonima myricifolia Griseb.
- Byrsonima ophiticola Small ex Britton (Puerto Rico)
- Byrsonima sericea A.Juss.
- Byrsonima spicata (Cav.) DC. – maricao
- Byrsonima subterranea Brade et Markgr.
- Byrsonima tuberosa
- Byrsonima variabilis A.Juss.
- Byrsonima verbascifolia (L.) Rich. ex Juss.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Byrsonima.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Byrsonima|
- "Byrsonima Rich. ex Kunth". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. 1996-09-17. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Species Records of Byrsonima". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Subordinate Taxa of !Byrsonima Rich. ex Kunth". TROPICOS. Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
|This Malpighiaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|